Trusted Contributor

After five years at my former company, I was laid off. I had no trouble finding a job and was back to work one month later, at a job that I actually never applied to. The person formerly in my position found my resume online and called me. I interviewed and was hired right away. During the month that I was off work, I applied to several jobs. I have been at my current employer less than two months, but now have been hired for a job with much better benefits, though it is slightly less pay. My employment is pending a background check, which I have no fear of, so I have a little time. After the background check, I will be able to give two weeks' notice. How do I tell my current employer that I'm leaving? The person I took over for was very, very far behind and I don't believe one person can catch it up and also keep up on current work. They are very nice people and I don't want to leave them in a bind, but I can't pass on this opportunity.

Esteemed Contributor

Give two weeks notice in writing and keep a copy.

Honored Contributor

Congratulations! I would tell them as soon as you find out that you have the new job. Maybe offer to train the new person, if there is enough time. I'm sure your present employers will understand. Benefits are very, very important in this day and age.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor
On 7/29/2014 ROMARY said:

Congratulations! I would tell them as soon as you find out that you have the new job. Maybe offer to train the new person, if there is enough time. I'm sure your present employers will understand. Benefits are very, very important in this day and age.

Thank you. Part of the problem is that I haven't gotten much training and there is still so much I don't know.

Super Contributor
On 7/29/2014 Eliana said:

I will be able to give two weeks' notice. How do I tell my current employer that I'm leaving?

You give two weeks notice -- date of your last day -- and thank them for the experience.

You don't need to explain anything.

Respected Contributor
On 7/29/2014 ennui1 said:

I will be able to give two weeks' notice. How do I tell my current employer that I'm leaving?

You give two weeks notice -- date of your last day -- and thank them for the experience.

ditto.......................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

If you haven't had much training, you should feel a bit better, which is good for you and for them. In other words, they haven't spent a lot of time and expense training you. It seems as though this is 'the right time' to move on! Lots of good luck to you, and also to your dear present employer(s). And future employer, too!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

I'd tend to agree to just resign and not say anything, but you don't want to be blamed for the backlog if that's how it was when you started. It all depends on your current relationship with the people in charge or the HR department.

It would be helpful to let them know because it would give them a chance to rethink the position before the next person comes on board. I know as a manager I'd appreciate that feedback before throwing someone else in the position. But I don't know the culture there.

If you think no one wants to know, then just leave quietly. Thank them for the opportunity and move on as best you can. You might leave some notes on where things were when you arrived and where things are presently. Again, so you don't get blamed for the backlog.

Honored Contributor
On 7/29/2014 ennui1 said:

Exactly- short and sweet. I resign my position at..... effective...... Thank you for the opportunity. That's all you need to say.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

In writing, 2 weeks notice is fine.

Don't try to over explain or be too sorry. Your current employer will not care about your future.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York