Trusted Contributor

Odor removal in a linen closet?

I keep all my extra blankets on the top shelf of my linen closet, which is ceiling height, and I took them all out to launder and clean out, etc. and the shelf up there just smells old. Not really musty. Just old, I can't really explain it. I put a box of baking soda up there, but will that work? I'm looking for some odor removal tips. I did wash the shelf with a bit of detergent and water, but maybe it's the walls that smell old? Any tips would be appreciated.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Honored Contributor

Re: Odor removal in a linen closet?

There are many moisture and odor eliminating products out there. I put my blankets and seasonal items in bags with a dryer sheet.
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Trusted Contributor

I am wondering about repainting that one area.... and putting the things you store on that shelf in plastic bags. I think I would use semi-gloss or something that has a nice washable surface. Good luck. Any smells drive me crazy!!

Regular Contributor

I had a linen closet which smelled unpleasant also. I put a partially full opened can of coffee in there and it completely took away the odor. You just have to be careful to place it where it won't tip over!

Honored Contributor

A can of coffee works great. Also, a tray of charcoal briquettes. But make sure they aren't placed near or spill on clothing. Also, you can make sachets of whole cloves, using netting/tulle. Just gather up circles of netting and tie into a pouches. Hang them on the closet walls using thumb tacks. But, I would definitely clean the closet first, using baking soda and unscented soap. Let dry. Then, if you want to, paint with unscented, no VOC paint. Then, use one of the above mentioned tips.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

On 7/28/2014 celeste27 said:

I had a linen closet which smelled unpleasant also. I put a partially full opened can of coffee in there and it completely took away the odor. You just have to be careful to place it where it won't tip over!

Doesn't it smell like coffee in the closet?

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Honored Contributor

Coffee, charcoal and cat litter are all great odor absorbers. Washing the walls and shelving with a solution of water and white vinegar will also help take care of the old, dusty, closed up smell.

Respected Contributor

Charcoal that's used in aquariums. You can get it at pet supply stores.

Stick cloves into oranges, then set those in the back corner of the shelving.

Super Contributor

Smells Begone gel beads are effective. They absorb odor and come in several aromas. I found it at BB&B.

Super Contributor

Take the skeletons out??? Wink J/K... I've had the same problem, and it doesn't seem to matter how old the house is or what kind of wood the closet is made out of, unless it is a cedar closet which I have found to make a difference. If linens or towels are stored for too long they just take on that stale aroma. The only way I have found to prevent it is storing the linens in a plastic box or bags first. As some people said, charcoal absorbs odors, but I still think the linens don't smell "fresh" after being stored awhile unprotected. I just wash them before using them again, no big deal to me. You can always use scented sachets, lavender or lemon are fresh scents, but I still don't think it completely masks that closet smell, it's just something that happens when things are stored for awhile without being used.