Super Contributor

For those of you that have dogs and/or cats, do they follow you to the bathroom? It was a thought I was pondering this morning because mine does, and so did the dog I had before, so I figured I cannot be alone. My puppy is quite humorous, even if she is sleeping or otherwise occupied, once she sees me get up to use the bathroom she follows me. Sometimes she is satisfied to know where I am and leaves, but other times she wants to stay there with me, and I have to tell her to get out. In the morning when I shower, she is constantly checking on me, sticking her head inside the shower curtain to investigate, and a bath is next to impossible unless I put her in her crate because she thinks she should be able to join me. Even my old, sweet dog would follow us around to the bathroom and sit all 60 pounds of himself outside the bathroom door, often blocking us in. We would have to knock on the door from the inside and gently shove it open to get him to move. What is it about our fur babies? Are they being protective or just curious?

Respected Contributor

Re: A frivolous curiosity....

My dog doesn't do that very often. Only when he thinks he is going to have to go in the car and he wants to hide in there with me.

Super Contributor

Instinct. She considers you leader of the pack.

Respected Contributor

I think dogs do that moreso than cats.

Honored Contributor

Yes! And Hi, Jules Smile The 10 month old kitty follows us all into the bathroom. Unless we latch it, she sticks her arms under the door or between the door and the frame to open it. She'll also stand and use her body weight to push it open.

When anyone starts the shower, it's like an alarm goes off for her, she wants to come in with us. She checks on us several times in there, too. Sometimes I get out of the shower and she's sitting on the top-down toilet seat, waiting for me.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor

Our cat won't put up with any closed doors. If the bathroom door is not totally shut, she will push it open. If it is shut, she will bang on it with her paws.

Honored Contributor

I don't have dogs, but my two nephew dogs follow my sister into the bathroom. Even if she won't let them in, they sit just outside the closed door, as close as they can get to it, until she comes out. They are her shadow.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

If it's anywhere near dinnertime, the two cats and the dog barge in with me. I'm rarely without an animal monitor no matter where I am.
Honored Contributor

On 7/28/2014 Dagna said:

Our cat won't put up with any closed doors. If the bathroom door is not totally shut, she will push it open. If it is shut, she will bang on it with her paws.

Is that your Tortitude kitty? All of ours over the years freak out if an inside door is shut. The older kitty claws at the couple of doors that have set-in glass. She won't stop until we open it.

Our Tortitude kitty is more patient, but she will try to open them herself, or just sit and wait.

Honored Contributor

On 7/28/2014 tansy said: If it's anywhere near dinnertime, the two cats and the dog barge in with me. I'm rarely without an animal monitor no matter where I am.

{#emotions_dlg.w00t} {#emotions_dlg.laugh}