Honored Contributor

speaking of happenings in the grocery line....

As I arrived at the grocery store so did the bus from the Lutheran home - my thought was OH NO. So i get my order somewhat uneventfully and get in line - the elderly lady ahead of me is just paying so I put my stuff on the counter and the girl is ringing them up - I pay and she packs everything -- however, I can't put the stuff into my cart to leave or progress any further because the lady in front of me is still standing there. The cashier and I are looking at each other and smiling. The cashier shrugs & so do I . Meanwhile another elderly lady is behind me pushing her stuff up to the cashier who jovially says she has to wait a moment as we seem to have a log jam. She just grunted and continues to push her stuff which is now going past the scanner because she is continuing to push it, so it is getting into the area where my stuff still sits there waiting to go into the cart. The cashier pushes it back and louder asks the lady to please be patient to which she replies that she wants her stuff rung up now. Finally someone from the office comes out and talks to the woman who is in front of me - then leaves and comes back with a wheelchair and sits her down and puts her stuff in her lap- she only had one bag. I can now load my stuff into a cart and get out of there but I can hear the one behind me **tching a mean one at the poor cashier. Never a dull moment.

Respected Contributor

Re: speaking of happenings in the grocery line....

When I used to shop in large, commercial grocery stores, the thing that would drive me crazy was when people (usually elderly women) would leave the cart right in the middle of a crowded aisle while they went looking for something. Clueless until they came back and couldn't find their full cart because someone had moved it (sometimes to another aisle). Then they would go crazy and become very aware of their surroundings.
Super Contributor

Here I stand, I cannot do otherwise.

Honored Contributor

So why didn't the cashier ask the woman holding up the line if she needed help and then call for the manager or someone to come to help her. Doesn't someone from the home come along to assist their residents? Just waiting didn't seem a good plan, you could still be there.

Honored Contributor

""Patience is a virtue.""

Honored Contributor

On 7/28/2014 occasional rain said:

So why didn't the cashier ask the woman holding up the line if she needed help and then call for the manager or someone to come to help her. Doesn't someone from the home come along to assist their residents? Just waiting didn't seem a good plan, you could still be there.

She was motioning to the office person to come out. This all happened with in a few min - it was not a very long time at all, despite the lady behind me making it seem like an hour had gone by. I think the lady in front of me has parkinsons and sometimes they just can't get their muscles to do what their mind wants them to. Even when she got the WC it took him a couple min to get her into it. This is a very small discount grocery store - not a big supermarket with a lot of staff.

Honored Contributor

On 7/28/2014 happy housewife said:
On 7/28/2014 occasional rain said:

She was motioning to the office person to come out. This all happened with in a few min - it was not a very long time at all, despite the lady behind me making it seem like an hour had gone by. I think the lady in front of me has parkinsons and sometimes they just can't get their muscles to do what their mind wants them to. Even when she got the WC it took him a couple min to get her into it. This is a very small discount grocery store - not a big supermarket with a lot of staff.

I get it. I always enjoy reading about the odd things that happen when out and about. Yesterday, I had a woman cut in front of me in line, she said she hadn't realized there was a line and, no, she didn't have a white cane or a dog with her.

Honored Contributor

On 7/28/2014 deepwaterdotter said:

""Patience is a virtue.""

It is for those who plan to live forever but the rest of us have a limit on our time.

Respected Contributor

I think I'm missing something. All of this commotion because no one said, "Excuse me, please" to the lady blocking the way?
Honored Contributor

Life happens. Sometimes we run into people who are incapacitated in some way. Thank your lucky stars you still have your wits about you and show a little compassion.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices