Esteemed Contributor

Corn on the cob-how do you store it?

Since it is that time of the year what are your techniques for keeping your corn on the cob fresh? I just read that you should keep it in the husks until ready to cook. I also,read a technique that involves husking it and submerging it in a gallon of cold water that you have added 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and a tablespoon of BLEACH too. Let it sit in the water for 15 minutes and then store in plastic bags tightly sealed. Any other ways???
Respected Contributor

Re: Corn on the cob-how do you store it?

LOL, we never do get to store corn on the cob. I buy just enough at the store, shuck it there, and never have any left over!

What worries you masters you.
Esteemed Contributor

The farm market I love is 30 minute drive each way. Don't want to do that too often so,I try to get at least 6 ears. it's just DH and I.
Honored Contributor

I try to only buy what I'll use in a day or two. I've always kept it in the husks.

Respected Contributor

Best to keep corn in the husks until ready to cook.

Honored Contributor

Keep it in the husks until you're ready to use it. Buy only enough for what you'll use within a few days.

BTW...did you see the video where you can microwave the ear of corn with the husks on, cut the bottom after it's cooked, grab the top and the silks and everything come off. Your corn is cooked and clean as a whistle!

Honored Contributor

Bleach? Whaaaa? What's the purpose of having bleach in direct contact w/ our food?

As for 'how to store'? Ah...in my belly! Just buy what you need.

Respected Contributor

I kept it on the bottom shelf in my fridge for about 6 days and it was still good.....w/o the husk.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Super Contributor

I love fresh sweet corn, one of the perks of summer! I only buy enough that I know I will use up within the week. Whether I purchase it from the grocery store or the farmer's market I always husk it there because you never can tell, it just might be a bad ear of corn no matter how great it looks on the outside. When I get home I only wash what I am going to use for dinner and keep the rest in the crisper unwashed. Never had a problem with it going bad.

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't store it either unless it was to freeze. I leave it in the husks and bake it in the oven for a little while....very, very good and then if you have leftover you can keep it for a day or two.