Super Contributor

Suggestions for decorating a Fish Bowl.

Really............for a Beta fish and I want it girly.....or pretty..........suggestions are so appreciated and I wonder what I could use at home that I already have? I can't think today and decorating is not my art. Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Suggestions for decorating a Fish Bowl.

Hello, RRR! I don't know anything about fish/fish bowls, but I'm thinking that all of the items you place into the bowl have to be special, non-toxic items. Just guessing, though, because now-a-days, almost nothing seems to be tested/checked for toxicity. I would visit a pet store and ask. Maybe some good suggestions are coming your way here.........have a nice afternoon!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Buy non-toxic aquarium decorations. That's what I would look for in fish/aquarium/pet stores. Anyway, good luck. The folks in the stores will help you out, just in case. I'm sure some posters will post ideas, etc. this afternoon!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

Thank you all so much and hello...........enjoy your weekend.

Valued Contributor

Nothing toxic, no metal, nothing that has been washed with soap, nothing with sharp edges that the fish could cut himself on, nothing that the betta could get stuck in...you must be careful. Some rocks release toxins, so you have to know what kinds to use.

Bettas have a labyrinth organ so they need lots of open space at the surface to take in air with their mouths so, you can't have a bunch of stuff floating on the top.

It would be safer to get decorations at the pet store or, even yard sales that have things that were especially made for aquariums. You could also do some research online to give you ideas for what you could use that would be safe.

You can't use water straight from the tap, the chlorine kills fish. It must sit 24 hrs for the gas to escape or you can buy a chemical to remove the cl at the pet store or even grocery store or Walmart or somewhere like that.

If you never had fish before, you should read up on it a little. You could probably find some site online. Look for info geared towards beginners.

Sorry so long, I'm really into fish, lol.

Honored Contributor

I believe 'Aqua Plus Tap Water Conditioner' rings a bell, as I recall from years ago. Oh, BTW, you don't just drop a few drops in..........you have to drop the drops in the water and let sit BEFORE you add the fish..........Read and follow all directions.

Honored Contributor

Betas are so beautiful and showy, I think they're best displayed in a simple, unadorned bowl so the fish is the center of attention.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

They are beautiful, I used to have one when I was a kid. Just be sure not to put 2 males together or they will fight to the death.

Here's a site with loads of information, pretty much everything you need to know. I'm sure the person at the pet store can help you with it too.

www.aquariumguys.com/betta-fish-care-article.html

Trusted Contributor

My Beta bowl had a plant anchored on top of the bowl and the fish swam in,out & around the roots in the water.I had pretty marbles on the bottom. You have to change the water weekly R&R. Any pet store will help you with info.

Respected Contributor

Dump out the water, fill with dirt and stick in a pretty indoor plant.....I hate fish !