Esteemed Contributor

I purchased a designer handbag thru Amazon as a gift. It was well packaged when it arrived, so I assumed it would be top quality. Turns out the quality was not so good. The bag was defective, so I returned it (fortunately the recipient was my daughter) and they charged me a $52 restocking fee!!!!!! Outrageous for returning defective merchandise. Doubt I will shop with Amazon again!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Amazon Restocking Charge

Wow I've never heard that before. Perhaps it was purchased from an outside vender through Amazon? Maybe they have their own rules?

Did you call them? Good luck!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Super Contributor

I've never been charged a restocking fee for returns.

Did the product description say there was a restocking fee?

Honored Contributor

Sounds like your purchase was not direct from Amazon but from a third-party seller?
Super Contributor

Was the bag returned after it had been used? Why was it defective? There's a restocking fee for shoes that have been worn, computer software that has been opened etc.

This does sound like a third party seller, rather than Amazon themselves.

Honored Contributor

How much was the purse...wow!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

It has to be from a third party seller. But here is what you can do. Go to help and call Amazon. You can select the item you want to discuss, and have Amazon call you right back. And they do call within seconds. Tell them the bag is defective, so why the costs? They may make good on it. You need to tell Amazon either way so they can take notes on the seller.

The only thing I have seen with a restocking fee from Amazon direct (with prime) is a computer. They do FULL refund if the item is defective or not working. They charge 10% if you just don't like it. They are pretty clear. The do reserve the right to examine defective items to see if they were tampered with to get refund.

Amazon is wonderful, and I buy everything there from napkins, cat food, toiletries, cleaning supplies, computers, etc. BUT they do have bad sellers. I have had 2 over the years. One sold a fake Perricone product, the other never shipped item...but said they did. Each was resolved n my favor, was a slight hassle but worth it

Honored Contributor

clover

I have ordered shoes, many many pair from Amazon and never had a restocking fee. However, a week ago I ordered a pair of shoes that came from Planet shoes. They charged me 6.50 off refund price for postage. I have never had that, but it was a 3rd party seller. Weird as I thought it was Prime. I found out later only certain colors were prime. The color I chose was not. Next time I will look more carefully/

Honored Contributor

On 7/25/2014 shoekitty said:

It has to be from a third party seller. But here is what you can do. Go to help and call Amazon. You can select the item you want to discuss, and have Amazon call you right back. And they do call within seconds. Tell them the bag is defective, so why the costs? They may make good on it. You need to tell Amazon either way so they can take notes on the seller.

The only thing I have seen with a restocking fee from Amazon direct (with prime) is a computer. They do FULL refund if the item is defective or not working. They charge 10% if you just don't like it. They are pretty clear. The do reserve the right to examine defective items to see if they were tampered with to get refund.

Amazon is wonderful, and I buy everything there from napkins, cat food, toiletries, cleaning supplies, computers, etc. BUT they do have bad sellers. I have had 2 over the years. One sold a fake Perricone product, the other never shipped item...but said they did. Each was resolved n my favor, was a slight hassle but worth it

Agreed!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, shoekitty. I'll try it. Yes, it was shipped from a third party vendor. However, my question is this..if the item is defective does this mean they will put it back on the shelf, only to be resold. The item was a MK handbag. Turns out it had some type of crease in the back and constantly fell over, spilling the contents. My daughter did use it a few times, but, said it wasn't' t worth the hassle. The bag actually leaned back instead of standing upright. I contacted Amazon before returning the bag to explain the situation. No restocking fee was ever mentioned.