Respected Contributor

How bad is the violence? I mean is it explicit and over the top?

I ordered it from Netflix but got to thinking I don't want to watch it if it is really really explicit.

Respected Contributor

Only you can determine your level of tolerance. I found it less disturbing than the violence in some other shows, True Blood, for instance.

Valued Contributor

Not sure about the show, scottie. However, DH and I watched one of those shows about a week ago (either Dateline or 20/20). It was a true story about a guy who was so into this show that he was trying to mimic Dexter (he even resembled the actor). They interviewed one of the people who he tortured, but he escaped. Unfortunately, one of his victims did not. He really enjoyed torturing his victims. It was quite a detailed story about what it took for the police to get enough evidence to prosecute him.

After seeing the story, I doubt I'd watch. Just offering some info to help you decide.

Respected Contributor
On 7/25/2014 Free2be said:

Only you can determine your level of tolerance. I found it less disturbing than the violence in some other shows, True Blood, for instance.

Thank you. That's encouraging. I agree each person's tolerance is different. My own tolerance varies. I don't want to see someone cutting people up for example.

Respected Contributor

Actually, the Dexter character put his victims to death quickly after a brief conversation and a few minutes for the murderer to see photos of his/her victims. He did take a blood sample prior to finishing them off.

Respected Contributor
On 7/25/2014 HisElk said:

Not sure about the show, scottie. However, DH and I watched one of those shows about a week ago (either Dateline or 20/20). It was a true story about a guy who was so into this show that he was trying to mimic Dexter (he even resembled the actor). They interviewed one of the people who he tortured, but he escaped. Unfortunately, one of his victims did not. He really enjoyed torturing his victims. It was quite a detailed story about what it took for the police to get enough evidence to prosecute him.

After seeing the story, I doubt I'd watch. Just offering some info to help you decide.

Oh dear. Yeah, torture is one thing I can't handle. Maybe I'll just watch it keeping my hand near the "stop" button!

Honored Contributor

Dexter was a terrific series, the violence fits with the storyline but is not for the faint of heart.

Respected Contributor
On 7/25/2014 Free2be said:

Actually, the Dexter character put his victims to death quickly after a brief conversation and a few minutes for the murderer to see photos of his/her victims. He did take a blood sample prior to finishing them off.

Oh...well, that seems less visual. I can't take scenes that go on and on.

Respected Contributor

Dexter's "victims" actually perpetrate the most violence in the show and that can be gruesome. You won't see Dexter dismember anyone, it is implied that he did it when he hauls bags onto his boat.

He's the good guy doing an illegal act. The show is really about him getting away with it and rooting for him that he doesn't get caught because the bad guys are THAT bad.

Super Contributor

I don't think the violence is that bad. Maybe along the lines of the original CSI series, or a little less.

If you could watch CSI without problem, then you can watch Dexter Smile

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan