Frequent Contributor
I am a natural redhead freckles and all. I am 61 years YOUNG and beginning to get a lot of gray. What have you found is the best brand and COLOR for you. I am more of a light auburn . Also is there anything to help extend the color. Have tried Wen. Just didn't see any difference after more than a year of trying. I am using Pantene co-wash and really like it. Thanks for your help
Contributor

Red is one of the most difficult colors to maintain even for natural redheads once the grey sets in but I use Preference by LOreal (because I'm worth it) and also because it seems to look the most natural on me. I variate between the light auburn and the medium auburn and get lots of compliments on my hair.

Super Contributor

I am dark auburn. I have some gray and have my hair professionally colored. My hairdresser mixes about 5 colors so I get a very natural, very close to my own color result.

I am a faithful WEN user also. Nothing I've ever used preserves color like it does.

Super Contributor

Have you thought of asking in the Beauty forum?

Honored Contributor

I came into this world a redhead, and hope to die as a redhead. I am also light auburn, and my color is extremely close to what it has always been. When I first noticed gray hair at my temple area, I started getting my hair professionally colored because I wanted to stay as close to my normal color as possible. My stylist purchases all of her color @ Sally's Beauty Supply, and mixes 3 colors for me. I do color every 5-6 weeks.

Super Contributor
I get my hair professionally colored about evey10 to 12 weeks. The last time I tried to save money and colored my own hair I had patches of GREEN. I do use the Joan Rivers Great Hair day product to cover the gray
Esteemed Contributor

I use a medium auburn. Oh gosh I forgot the brand now ...lol..(its upstairs), but think its Loreal?(But Ive used Clairol before too).

Anyway I used to have medium RED hair (not auburn) But after experimenting w different shades medium auburn is the best.

Its hard to match your original red (my hairdresser told me that). Also its hard to cover gray on redheads so she told me to go darker than my natural red, rather than lighter. Thus the medium auburn.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

My stylist uses 3 colors on my hair to get the most natural look possible.....I've only attempted to color it on my own once and it was disasterous (came out way too dark) so never tried again.

Honored Contributor

Now that I have a lot of grey, I am so glad that I have mine professionally done (it would be impossible for me to color grey and then the red)....I went strawberry blonde too.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Trusted Contributor

I am a light red, strawberry blonde if you will, and at age 55 (almost 56) I have never colored my hair.

The last time I went to have my hair cut, the stylist told me not to bother because red was such a hard color to match.

I may just let it go..I don't mind having a small amount of gray in my hair, after all, I think I have earned most of them. LOL