Trusted Contributor

Another Maine ?----I want to see a moose AND the coast, too..........

I've done some research, and I see that the moose population in ME is in the northern part of the state. In my previous post about ME I mentioned vacationing in southern ME. I've been wondering about something.

I've been thinking about staying somewhere a little more centrally located so that we can possibly drive a bit north to look for moose, but also be close enough to the coast to enjoy its beauty, too. Does anyone think this is a good idea or would it involve too much driving? Thanks

Super Contributor

Re: Another Maine ?----I want to see a moose AND the coast, too..........

I hope you have better luck with spotting a moose than I have had.

My SIL used to live in Maine and said she had a moose traipse through her yard frequently (I was there three days and never saw him.)

I went to AK - was assured I see moose - never did.

Went to one of the National Parks out west and was again told moose abounded. Never saw one.

Do moose actually exist? Or are they just avoiding me?

Trusted Contributor

On 7/23/2014 Dagna said:

I hope you have better luck with spotting a moose than I have had.

My SIL used to live in Maine and said she had a moose traipse through her yard frequently (I was there three days and never saw him.)

I went to AK - was assured I see moose - never did.

Went to one of the National Parks out west and was again told moose abounded. Never saw one.

Do moose actually exist? Or are they just avoiding me?

Oh no! I would have been terribly disappointed. I have only seen one moose in my life, and that was when I was 15. My mom and I went to visit our cousins in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. I was thrilled to see one.

Respected Contributor

I was driving in central NH and I saw a moose getting ready to cross the road. I immediately pulled over as you don't want to mess with a moose if you're in your car because usually the moose wins. Anyway, she got to the edge of the road, then changed her mind and went back into the woods. It was such a thrill to see her up close.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Trusted Contributor

Moose hang out here most of the Winter and are not scared of anything.

I can walk out on my deck and they just look at me and go about their day.

North Idaho

Last summer on at night I slammed into a Moose I am sure my poor car was in worse shape than the Moose!

Regular Contributor

Lots of moose in Vermont, especially around the northern end of Lake Champlain. They wander onto my brother's property all the time.

Topaz gem is right: Don't mess with them. One of them butted a passenger train in Burlington and derailed the car it hit. Imagine what it would do to your 3,000 lb. car in a collision.

Respected Contributor

On 7/23/2014 boby said:

Lots of moose in Vermont, especially around the northern end of Lake Champlain. They wander onto my brother's property all the time.

Topaz gem is right: Don't mess with them. One of them butted a passenger train in Burlington and derailed the car it hit. Imagine what it would do to your 3,000 lb. car in a collision.

Experts say that if you're about to collide with a moose, and you have a few seconds to react, try to steer the car so that you hit the moose's rear end. The moose's upper body is unbelievably strong and powerful and you'll be in worse shape than the moose if you come in contact with the upper part of the animal.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

Bar Harbor is a wonderful vacation spot, but never saw any moose.

Super Contributor

Moose love wetlands, they are herbivores. Northern Maine. You can stay in Northern coastal from Bucksport to Machias (rt. 1) and drive inland, Bangor to St. Stephen, take Rt. 9 also known as the "Airline". Beautiful drive and vistas, many lakes, ponds and wetlands. Of course beware of the unofficial Maine "State Bird"...bring plenty of Deep Woods Off. And lots of driving.

Honored Contributor

I have spent a lot of time in ME and I've seen my fair share of Mooses, from a distance and up close and personal. Trust me, you don't want to get too close to a moose. I once worked for the Federal Gov't in a field position and ME and VT were part of my territory. I preferred rural areas over going into inner city areas. Although, I am very much a city girl. I was in Northern ME, way up in Aroostook County when I had my moose experience. We were warned that if we encountered a moose, we should stand still, keep quite and not approach it. I was on a two lane road, I drove for about 2 hours without ever seeing another car. Just woods. Suddenly, dead ahead, stretched out across both lanes of the road, I saw the biggest moose in the world (or so I though). He was stretched out in the road, sleeping in the sunlight. Just like cats nap in the sun! I came to a dead stop. I could not drive around him and there was deep woods on each side. So, I sat in my parked car and waited for him to wake up and do whatever he was going to do. Eventually, he got up and stretched (like a cat) and then I saw how BIG he really was. Huge does not describe that animal and the antlers looked big trees on his head. But he didn't appear to be threatening at all. He was curious . He did not approach my car, he looked at me with gorgeous, round, dark brown eyes that were as big as dinner plates. And then he just mosied off into the deep woods. To this day, I can't quite explain how I felt. I felt awe struck and honored to have seen nature at it's finest. But it's not an experience I want to repeat.