Trusted Contributor

Southern Maine--reasonably priced hotels/cottages/cabins, etc.?

I have never been to ME, and I've always thought it would be a nice place to visit. I am hoping, DH and I can take a week long trip there the end of Aug. I have no idea where we want to stay, but I thought Southern ME would be nice, as it would be a shorter drive.

I've been doing some searching online at hotels, etc., but it seems that most of them are very pricey. Does anyone have any suggestions for a CLEAN, reasonably priced hotel/cottage/cabin in Southern ME? Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Southern Maine--reasonably priced hotels/cottages/cabins, etc.?

We go to Bar Harbor every year. That's about 4 hours north of Portland. It's beautiful and we spend a lot of time bike riding and hiking the trails in Acadia National Park. We spend a lot of time at the local lobster pounds too. The lobster is just delicious. Anyway about 30 min north of Portland is Freeport. We stay at the Best Western there. It's reasonable and they have a very small cute restaurant there also. In Freeport is LL Bean which is nice to shop. Be sure to make reservations now
Trusted Contributor

Re: Southern Maine--reasonably priced hotels/cottages/cabins, etc.?

Hi Sue. We live in MA but go to Maine as often as we can. Unfortunately this time of year it is very expensive if you want to stay close to the beach. It is also very crowded so we tend to go in late spring or early fall. However, this year I am so ready for a trip to Bar Harbor. Thinking we may go next week. I'm with mcall, the lobster is the best ever there. Normally we stay around the Ogunquit area. In general you can't go wrong in southern Maine. Have fun if you go. We usually stay at the Anchorage in Ogunquit but as I said it is pricey now. If you stay on rte 1 (not on the water) it may be more reasonable. Where are you driving from?