Super Contributor

I remember when I moved into my first house (renting) back in 2004. The owners were in their late 70s. The lady was going through the house with me. When we got to the living room she said, "And you can put your davenport there and your tv over there." I was like.... wha? LOL! I asked my mom later what she was talking about. Another "pocketbook" moment for me. Her mom used to call the sofa that.

I say couch or sofa.

Regular Contributor

Yes! This was the word I grew up with. Everyone said davenport.

Honored Contributor

sofa......never heard anyone use the term davenport although i do know what it refers to.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

We had what my parents called a ""chesterfield"".

Trusted Contributor

I don't make fun of people who use words different from what I do; I think we all can learn from them. All over this country there are different dialects and different ways to describe things.... but we all have basically the same items and live more the same way than different.

Honored Contributor
On 7/21/2014 MaggieToo said:

We had what my parents called a ""chesterfield"".

interesting.....have not heard that term other than referring to cigarettes.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor
On 7/21/2014 game-on said:

I don't make fun of people who use words different from what I do; I think we all can learn from them. All over this country there are different dialects and different ways to describe things.... but we all have basically the same items and live more the same way than different.

Who is making fun? I think language is fascinating.

Contributor

couch.

Honored Contributor
I thought that word was a Midwestern thing.
Respected Contributor

If I'm not mistaken, Davenport was the name of a sofa manufacturer?????

Anyone?

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy