Super Contributor

anyone else follow this?? i love the pics and updates they send out. it looks so magical and right out of a fairy tale!

/></p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p>the blog is written by a couple that wanted to buy a farmhouse in the south of france and ended up finding an abondoned chateau instead! they have been working on it little by little restoring it to it's former glory.</p> <p> </p> <p><strong>After two years of negotiation, the chateau has been purchased by an Australian family. Follow the progress of events as planning, official permission and renovation which started in November 2013.</strong></p> <p><strong>The blog shares the story of the past, present and future of Chateau de Gudanes.</strong></p> <p> </p> <p>http://www.chateaugudanes.com/</p>

Super Contributor

Thank you for sharing, shesallthat, I had not heard of this blog. I always pictured myself doing that in some lovely part of France. Instead, I found a magical 100 plus year old grand old dame right here in the US. I am from Germany and once in a while I think about what I left behind and what I have gained. Love old houses and old gardens.

Restoring an old house is a lifelong process for me. Right now I'm trying to make something out of our somewhat neglected garden. I am looking forward to reading the blog. The place does look sumptuous.

Super Contributor

hi Haca!

you're welcome!Smile we have lots of old grand homes here in Ms,too and i love it when people decide to restore one. if i can find one close by i like to check up on it to see what is going on with it. there is one in a city not far from me and i keep noticing that it is for sale when i am in the area and i told my DH it is just waiting for me to buy it! Wink

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for sharing. I hadn't heard of this restoration. I greatly enjoy the home restoration/fixer upper shows (rehab addict and so on). I saw the pics on this place. It will be a lovely chateaux/home for whomever lives there - beautiful area too. I will try to keep up with the improvements and wish the best for all involved.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Super Contributor
On 7/21/2014 Love Roses said:

Thanks for sharing. I hadn't heard of this restoration. I greatly enjoy the home restoration/fixer upper shows (rehab addict and so on). I saw the pics on this place. It will be a lovely chateaux/home for whomever lives there - beautiful area too. I will try to keep up with the improvements and wish the best for all involved.

i also love the same type of shows on HGTV. i can't remember how i first found out about this place but it was months ago and the pic i saw was of the chateau in the early morning and the fog was settled in around it and it looked sooooo beautiful. i thought it was an old pic from another time! i have been following it ever since then on facebook and i get email updates in their newsletter.

Honored Contributor

Oh to have the money to buy and restore a home like this. I would love the experience and research of the story behind the home. I would never want to part with it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Esteemed Contributor

Shesallthat - Years ago, (before 'flipping' was known or popular), we bought a fixer upper. It was the worst home in the area, like a haunted house of the street. It was formerly owned by people who practiced their lifestyle of abusing things, house included. I am not against doing the same work that traditionally males would do to clean up and fix a place. It's been years in the making and re-making but it is one of the nicer homes on the street. It appears like a happy home with happy curb appeal. I look back and wonder who was that gal who hauled bricks, windows, wood, dug dirt, removed vegetation, planted and landscaped, hauled debris, and demo'd walls, and many other things. When we move, I do hope the love we put into our abode will be inherited by some folks who appreciate the efforts of others. It's been our history, our love, our journey, our memories.

Super Contributor

Shesallthat - Years ago, (before 'flipping' was known or popular), we bought a fixer upper. It was the worst home in the area, like a haunted house of the street. It was formerly owned by people who practiced their lifestyle of abusing things, house included. I am not against doing the same work that traditionally males would do to clean up and fix a place. It's been years in the making and re-making but it is one of the nicer homes on the street. It appears like a happy home with happy curb appeal. I look back and wonder who was that gal who hauled bricks, windows, wood, dug dirt, removed vegetation, planted and landscaped, hauled debris, and demo'd walls, and many other things. When we move, I do hope the love we put into our abode will be inherited by some folks who appreciate the efforts of others. It's been our history, our love, our journey, our memories.

you are a brave woman Love Roses!! knowing that history i would not have gone near that house!! LOL but it sounds like you turned it into something really special and i hope future owners will appreciate that. i remember when i was younger going with my mom to see and old home. it was very much like the home in "the color purple" - when you walked up the flight of stairs there was a huge landing and rooms on each side. very big house! i wanted it even then as a young girl!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} i remember it being little or nothing BUT you had to move the house to your own property. my mom was not interested in buying it - she just wanted to look inside. i have no idea who finally bought it but we passed through the area one day and it was gone and i was so sad! whenever i go by that way i always remember that house and wonder where it is now.

Esteemed Contributor

ShesAllThat - I have to suspect my inkling for enjoying re-doing my home came from childhood. We had a playhouse with furniture and dishes that I would arrange and re-arrange, a dollhouse that I would also do the same. I liked being outside in the yard and enjoyed the plants and grass. I would be the first to go to the garden center with my dad to see all the plants, flowers, and shrubs. I so enjoyed the magazines with homes and their furnishings. As a child when we would pass by a neglected home I would wonder what I would do to improve that situation. Still do.

I realize that my 'passion' is not every females desire. My neighborhood ladies would scoff and sneer and have their fun cutting remarks at my expense. They wouldn't be caught dead picking up a shovel. Yet they would boast about their ancestors crossing the prairies and living in mud homes or half built timber homes, plowing fields, chopping wood, etc. I guess now they can stick their noses up and not bend to pull out a weed. I feel differently and enjoy my labors.

Super Contributor

ShesAllThat - I have to suspect my inkling for enjoying re-doing my home came from childhood. We had a playhouse with furniture and dishes that I would arrange and re-arrange, a dollhouse that I would also do the same. I liked being outside in the yard and enjoyed the plants and grass. I would be the first to go to the garden center with my dad to see all the plants, flowers, and shrubs. I so enjoyed the magazines with homes and their furnishings. As a child when we would pass by a neglected home I would wonder what I would do to improve that situation. Still do.

I realize that my 'passion' is not every females desire. My neighborhood ladies would scoff and sneer and have their fun cutting remarks at my expense. They wouldn't be caught dead picking up a shovel. Yet they would boast about their ancestors crossing the prairies and living in mud homes or half built timber homes, plowing fields, chopping wood, etc. I guess now they can stick their noses up and not bend to pull out a weed. I feel differently and enjoy my labors.

you have to do you! my neighbors were the same way - i love to get out in my yard and mow or plant things. they used to tease me because on the weekends they would be going shopping and out to lunch,etc and see me out in the yard and make little comments. well since i do not work i did the shopping and lunches during the week while they were at work! Wink and i am not the type to worry about what other people think. their husbands would tell me sometimes how they admire seeing me out in the yard and how nice it always looks. next thing i knew - they were out trying to mow the yard and plant flowers!{#emotions_dlg.lol}