Respected Contributor

According to the Wall Street Journal, the business is booming.

Reasons cited are breakups of relationships immortalized in tattoos. The other reason is that many people who got them are now trying to get jobs where having tattoos will be seen as a negative.

It is a painful, costly, process.

Hyacinth

Super Contributor

But tattoo accrual is up 900%!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Is a medical degree required to be licensed to remove tattoos?

Honored Contributor

Never liked it. No one in my family (except my old sailor brother) has tattoos. That and facial/body piercings . . . permanent disfigurement, IMO.

We do have pierced ears.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Fantasy Island wouldn't be the same without him.

Super Contributor
On 7/20/2014 stilltamn8r said:

But tattoo accrual is up 900%!!!!!

i have not seen any kind of slowing down or removal by the masses going on. my son got one earlier this year. my brother is a bank vice-president and he has one. both are on their shoulders where nobody would see them at their jobs. and they have no intention of ever having them removed.

Esteemed Contributor

Tattoo removal is so painful. I went with one of my girlfriends who got an unfortunate tramp stamp back in the 90's (barb wire no less, could it have been more cliche?) and I felt so horrible for her. She was dying and it smelled really bad.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

My sister had one removed, she said it didn't hurt very much.

I think the multi-color ones require more laser treatments.

On the flip side, I know a young tattoo artist, he's busy all day, everyday.

Honored Contributor

There are other reasons too. There are a few types of jobs where they are not wanted. Some models are not hired because of tattoos. They are a distraction from the clothing. I think it's became a fad and people are tired of the tattoos (in a addition to the love someone (other then mom) But yes. Very hard to get rid of.

Esteemed Contributor
On 7/20/2014 nunya said:

My sister had one removed, she said it didn't hurt very much.

I think the multi-color ones require more laser treatments.

On the flip side, I know a young tattoo artist, he's busy all day, everyday.

Maybe that is why she thought it was so painful. She did have a multicolor one.

Tattoos aren't going anywhere. They are getting more popular. More and more people are doing them so of course removals will be up too.

40% of adults 26-40 have a tattoo. Over 45 million Americans have one.

I will be interesting to see my generation (X) in their senior years. Gonna be a lot of grandma's running around will tramp stamps. LOL! Should be fun!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK