Super Contributor

DESTROYING a Network / What happened to TRUTV?

Good evening,

I just read an article today about yet another former TRUTV anchor leaving HLN. Vinnie Politan was part of a group of "Rockstar" attorney / anchors who covered our nations most sensational trials (Casey Anthony, Jodi Arias, Sandusky, Pistorious etc). Several months ago, HLN took over coverage of all of TRUTV's trials and retained some of the legal network's anchors. Unfortunately, HLN offered an inferior product that offered truncated trial coverage and non-stop commercials. Needless to say, the former TRUTV anchors and viewers were not happy. Meanwhile, TRUTV has become a dumping ground for some "reality" shows. I can that in the future, another network will recognize the value of providing complete trial coverage.

Valued Contributor

Re: DESTROYING a Network / What happened to TRUTV?

Wish it was still Court TV.

Esteemed Contributor

That's a shame.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

It's a shame that a bigger network doesn't take over the Live Court Room Trials. I used to DVR all the trials on HLN as soon as I realized what "In Session" was all about. Use to read the title in the listing and never bothered to look to see what it was about. Once I saw it was live trials? Was on of my favorite networks to DVR.

I remember the name Court TV, but there again I never turned it on to see what it was about. And me loving trials, either watching them or being on a jury. Don't know if HLN just couldn't attract sponsors like the big cable networks or why they stopped showing the live trials.

Always liked listening to Vinny and also liked his show that lasted a short while called HLN After Dark, I think that was the name. Use to recap the day's trial and have a mock jury that voted on certain issues. I just happened to have DVR HLN News and heard Vinny say his goodbye to everyone. Anyone know where he is going or what he is going to do?

There a few programs I DVR on TRUTV, but there are very few that are new shows. Most of them are reruns and way too many are ridiculous shows in which I have zero interest in watching them.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Good riddance. I do not believe trials should be on TV. It does not assist with public transparency. All it does is sensationalize trials and sometimes change outcomes. Trials should not make TV stars out of people.
Honored Contributor

On 7/19/2014 bikerbabe said: Good riddance. I do not believe trials should be on TV. It does not assist with public transparency. All it does is sensationalize trials and sometimes change outcomes. Trials should not make TV stars out of people.

Hi bikerbabe,

How are you getting along now? I know from losing so many of our felines that one can never be replaced and the ones they owned will never forget them. I hope you are feeling a little bit better now.

Just wondering if you made a decision about that kitten you mentioned in one of your posts.

I will leave the topic of this post out of this.

Take care and my best to you,

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

On 7/19/2014 bikerbabe said: Good riddance. I do not believe trials should be on TV. It does not assist with public transparency. All it does is sensationalize trials and sometimes change outcomes. Trials should not make TV stars out of people.

I agree with you. Trials should not be televised and become entertainment for the public.

All it does is turn ordinary people in to armchair "detectives", who suddenly think that they know more, and know better than those who actually worked the case, and who have gone to school and graduated with a degree in detective/forensic work.

People think that by watching a couple of fictional shows of "CSI", that all of a sudden, that makes them an "expert" in forensics.

Was Yuban, then changed to Plaid Pants due to forum upgrade, and apparently, I'm back to being Yuban.
Super Contributor

On 7/20/2014 Yuban3 said:

I agree with you. Trials should not be televised and become entertainment for the public.

All it does is turn ordinary people in to armchair "detectives", who suddenly think that they know more, and know better than those who actually worked the case, and who have gone to school and graduated with a degree in detective/forensic work.

People think that by watching a couple of fictional shows of "CSI", that all of a sudden, that makes them an "expert" in forensics.

Actually, watching trials helps viewers develop a more "informed" perspective. There is a big difference between snipets on the news vs watching a trial. Further, trial watchers don't fall for CSI syndrome, they know better. The forensic process is much longer than a TV show. Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but I have personally learned a great deal from trials, news etc.. They have afforded me a broader understanding of how our legal system works and encouraged me to respect differing perspectives.

Super Contributor

On 7/19/2014 hckynut said:

It's a shame that a bigger network doesn't take over the Live Court Room Trials. I used to DVR all the trials on HLN as soon as I realized what "In Session" was all about. Use to read the title in the listing and never bothered to look to see what it was about. Once I saw it was live trials? Was on of my favorite networks to DVR.

I remember the name Court TV, but there again I never turned it on to see what it was about. And me loving trials, either watching them or being on a jury. Don't know if HLN just couldn't attract sponsors like the big cable networks or why they stopped showing the live trials.

Always liked listening to Vinny and also liked his show that lasted a short while called HLN After Dark, I think that was the name. Use to recap the day's trial and have a mock jury that voted on certain issues. I just happened to have DVR HLN News and heard Vinny say his goodbye to everyone. Anyone know where he is going or what he is going to do?

There a few programs I DVR on TRUTV, but there are very few that are new shows. Most of them are reruns and way too many are ridiculous shows in which I have zero interest in watching them.

Vinny is anchoring a Morning News show out of Atlanta. I don't live in that area. I believe his debut is coming up soon. BTW, I saw Ryan Smith on Good Morning America.

Honored Contributor

On 7/19/2014 MathisFan said:

Wish it was still Court TV.

You and I both!