Valued Contributor

I've Read There Are Many Subaru Drivers Here - Alert About Some Models

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — Some Subaru vehicle models have a defect that could lead to engine failure while they're being driven, a federal lawsuit says.

The lawsuit alleges violations of the state's consumer fraud act, breach of express warranty and other violations. It says piston rings in the vehicles wear out quickly and some vehicles burn excessive amounts of oil.

The models affected by the defect are the 2011-14 Forester 2.5-liter, 2013 Legacy 2.5-liter, 2013 Outback 2.5-liter, 2012-13 Impreza 2-liter and 2013 XV Crosstek 2-liter, according to the lawsuit.

The oil consumption issue "can cause engine failure while the Class Vehicles are in operation at any time and under any driving condition or speed," the lawsuit says. "This exposes the driver and occupants of the Class Vehicles, as well as others who share the road with them, to an increased risk of accident, injury, or death."

The lawsuit was filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Camden. It seeks unspecified damages and an order that Subaru initiate a recall to fix the problem.

http://news.msn.com/us/subaru-sued-over-claims-of-dangerous-auto-defect

Honored Contributor

Re: I've Read There Are Many Subaru Drivers Here - Alert About Some Models

Scary, Marp. Luckily, mine's not one of the models.
Respected Contributor

Thanks for the info.

Mine is one of the models. I do have it serviced regularly, and have never noticed a problem otherwise...ie burning too much oil.

But it's good to be informed. When I go back in, I'll ask about this.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor

We do have a Subaru on that list, but what OP doesn't say is that it only applies to certain states (east coast) and we're west coast. So we're not on the list after all Smile

Respected Contributor

Thanks for that info, Clover. Usually the manufacturer will send a notification if you're affected, won't they?

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor

It's something to do with salt water erosion, and presumably gritting the roads with salt is much more common over the other side of the country. It wasn't done in Seattle because residents didn't like what it did to their cars, for the little amount of snow that falls there.

We've had manufacturer recall notices before, but we recently moved and if they do it from buyer records, ours would be out of date. I don't know if they have access to title information at the state level, to get current addresses.

Respected Contributor

Hi, marp, I appreciate your post! My car is a 2013 Impreza and has not had that problem but it is very good to know about it. Most of my driving is local; my mileage isn't high. I wonder if the oil consumption might be linked to heavier usage.

Thanks very much for the heads-up.

Valued Contributor

Marienkaefer,

Subaru is denying there is a problem and said the oil consumption is "within acceptable levels" so no notification would be sent because they believe there is no problem. The two plaintiffs, one from California and one from Florida, are seeking to get class action status.

Respected Contributor

Oh, I see. I've moved too. Didn't think of that. Well, this one won't be a problem for me anyway either.

Valued Contributor

On 7/19/2014 Clover29 said:

It's something to do with salt water erosion, and presumably gritting the roads with salt is much more common over the other side of the country. It wasn't done in Seattle because residents didn't like what it did to their cars, for the little amount of snow that falls there.

We've had manufacturer recall notices before, but we recently moved and if they do it from buyer records, ours would be out of date. I don't know if they have access to title information at the state level, to get current addresses.

The article I linked deals with an oil consumption issue that "can cause engine failure while the Class Vehicles are in operation at any time and under any driving condition or speed," the lawsuit says.

If there is a lawsuit about salt water erosion it is a different issue than the one I cited.