Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone know if this is allowed (legal?)

My DD has a tree in her front yard. It was to be trimmed down in Winter but here in PA we had that horrible Winter and every time the guy was to come another blizzard came.

So he since said (I guess about Spring he said this) that it would be BEST for the trees health (or something to that affect) to cut this tree in the Fall. No problem.

In the meantime DDs neighbor comes over last week and says when will this tree branches be cut (some were hanging slightly in her yard but its not half the tree its a few branches and they are NOT touching wires OR her home (they have underground wiring like us).

DD said oh the fellow is coming in the Fall to do the tree and it will be taken care of. Fine the woman left.

Today while DD was working the lady (Or someone) CUT the branches that were hanging and didn't do it right and now the beautiful tree looks like heck. DD is mad and said she has a lot of nerve, and says she looked it up online and its against the law to do this.

I had to joke because since living in the country (we are all from the city) I seemed to realize people here are bothered by things that wouldn't bother me. BUT they do what they want and have zero consideration for others and are not very friendly. (Such as our neighbors are holier than thou but they set off fireworks all Summer after 10, park their 5 cars in front of our mailbox, the list goes on. I called the cops before on the fireworks but they still do it so why bother?)

Same is where my DD lives in suburbia. They act mighty but don't seem to have consideration for others like we do!

SO anyway....I would just LET IT GO because its just plain dumb IMO to argue over a tree!

But I was just wondering is this allowed to go cut someone elses tree because a few branches are in their yard?

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone know if this is allowed (legal?)

at least here in Cali..........the neighbor is justified and can at any time they wish remove branches or anything other part of a plant or tree that comes onto their property, which includes branches............................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

Did the neighbor only cut the ones hanging on their property?

Super Contributor

Worst case scenario....Well, what if the overhanging branch fell on her grandchild and killed them? Would your daughter be held liable, or would the court say the other lady should/could have mitigated the damage by cutting those branches herself???
Esteemed Contributor

As far as I know anything that is over the property line can be cut. While it may not be the neighborly thing to do, it is legal.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Super Contributor

I think they can cut any tree limb that is hanging in the airspace above their property - they've got dibs on it.

Respected Contributor

In Pa, the neighbor can trim up to the property line.

Honored Contributor

If it crossed property lines, neighbor was within his/her rights to trim it. I do it all the time when my neighbors honeysuckle shrub, lilac tree and whatever crop she's growing comes over my property line. I am not destructive - I just clip back to the fence line.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

On 7/16/2014 CrazyDaisy said:

As far as I know anything that is over the property line can be cut. While it may not be the neighborly thing to do, it is legal.

That is the way it is here. Legal, but better to get the owners to try to do it before you just do it. I'm sure the neighbor was tired of waiting, but it wasn't anyone's fault. Weather can't be stopped.

Super Contributor

I have always been under the impression that if a tree hangs over your property line, you can cut what's over your side.

But ... you are supposed to give the bits back to the owner of the tree. You aren't entitled to any fruit on them, you can't use the branches for firewood.

I also thought most people would mention out of courtesy that they wanted the branches trimming, and the owner can then say, "I'll make that happen" so the inconvenienced party doesn't have to do it (or doesn't do it badly). But that's just a courtesy, not law.