Honored Contributor

My, How Technology Has Changed

December 1943

Long distance calls Photograph of Women Working at a Bell System Telephone Switchboard, 12/22/1943From the series: Women Working In Industry, 1940 - 1945; Records of the Women’s Bureau This photograph shows a telephone switchboard where overseas phone calls were handled during World War II. Many women patriotically joined the industrial workforce to work in shipyards or an aircraft factories, but many more worked in service or clerical jobs as secretaries, bank tellers, retail clerks, and telephone operators. via DocsTeach

I had a great aunt who worked as a switchboard operator for a few years. Seeing this photo is a reminder of how much technology has changed.

The new cars are another reminder. I now have one that's all computer run, and even has a monitor to check various parts and functions. Actually, I'm not thrilled with that, you can't let it just sit idle for a week. it drains the battery just hanging out.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

Re: My, How Technology Has Changed

It changes so quickly that in 70+ years, they'll be showing photos of us and laughing at how antiquated our cell phones, tablets, and laptops are.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Respected Contributor

Hi Noel! So glad to see you here, was getting worried.{#emotions_dlg.wub}

My BF in high school became a switchboard operator for quite awhile. I could pick up the phone and we could talk if she wasn't busy. She could listen in on all the calls, interesting. No privacy act in the fifties. Take care.Smile

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

I bet there was a lot of finger pointing at that job.

Honored Contributor

On 7/16/2014 Topaz Gem said:

It changes so quickly that in 70+ years, they'll be showing photos of us and laughing at how antiquated our cell phones, tablets, and laptops are.

You're right, TG {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Respected Contributor

Computers...OMG...I remember learning DOS commands on my 1st computer and how thrilled I was when I got my 1st dot matrix printer.....when Windows 3x came out it was so exciting....computers ahve come a long way!!

Honored Contributor

On 7/16/2014 Mama Mia said:

Hi Noel! So glad to see you here, was getting worried.{#emotions_dlg.wub}

My BF in high school became a switchboard operator for quite awhile. I could pick up the phone and we could talk if she wasn't busy. She could listen in on all the calls, interesting. No privacy act in the fifties. Take care.Smile

mm

MM {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Oh, I do remember party lines! My parents lived in a flat for a short time, and for about two months they were on a party line with the upstairs neighbor. My mother said the little girl was always picking up the phone and listening to my mother's conversations.

You take care, too, MM Smile

Honored Contributor

On 7/16/2014 brewhaha said:

I bet there was a lot of finger pointing at that job.

Honored Contributor

On 7/16/2014 straykatz said:

Computers...OMG...I remember learning DOS commands on my 1st computer and how thrilled I was when I got my 1st dot matrix printer.....when Windows 3x came out it was so exciting....computers ahve come a long way!!

My husband had a TI99 from Texas instruments. I think that was a forerunner of computers. He was in his glory then, what had been imagination was coming true. He still keeps parts of some of the old stuff he had, thinking he might need them again in the future {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Respected Contributor