Super Contributor

Feeling unsafe when on walks

I try to go on a 45 minute walk a day....there is a lovely area to walk to from my house. A green belt, with a nice stream, lots of trees and birds..a wetland area. It is usually just me and my dog there walking ...it is a community park just for the home divisions around it and not for the public. Not many people take advantage of it. I do take my dog, they have doggie pickup stations with free bags even. I feel nervous when walking down there...my dog is a golden, not very protective....more of a licker and kisser if you know what I mean. I wish I could just enjoy walking, but that it is so secluded....and woodsy....I always am looking around me and sensing for any danger( a man). It ruins my nice walk that I innately feel like I must look behind me and be on the watch. I suppose it is just a part of society today that women always have to be on their guard. I just wish that it was not the case and a walk could just be an enjoyable experience, just a nice walk without thinking of danger. I do carry pepper spray..... I guess that says it all as far as feeling safe.
Respected Contributor

Re: Feeling unsafe when on walks

is there another gal in the neighborhood that would be interested in walking......you could buddy up...............................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

While it is important to be aware of your surroundings it sounds as if you are unnecessarily fearful. you have both a dog and pepper spray. I take walks in my neighborhood (not at night) and I have never felt fearful. Just relax and enjoy your walk.
Super Contributor

Just make sure someone knows where you're going. And bring your phone.

Super Contributor

I feel fine walking on the neighborhood streets, it is just when I go to the park area. A walking buddy would be nice. I guess I like the freedom of walking alone, on my schedule if you know what I mean. I wrote this I suppose to show that in today's world, the freedom of just going on a simple walk is not so simple because of the fear society instills in us as women.
Honored Contributor

I understand and think you have reason to be wary. We are constantly reading and hearing news reports about women attacked while walking or jogging. Even college campuses are not safe.

The suggestion is always to have someone walk with you. I think that's your best bet, either that or a dog trained to attack on command.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

I have a walking staff I purchased from REI. It creates a nice rhythm, could deter someone wanting to approach me...and gets critters out of the way when needed. If not this, just walk with an air of confidence!

Honored Contributor

On 7/2/2014 sidsmom said:

I have a walking staff I purchased from REI. It creates a nice rhythm, could deter someone wanting to approach me...and gets critters out of the way when needed. If not this, just walk with an air of confidence!

Not a deterrent, unfortunately.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Esteemed Contributor

IMy suggestions; f you are scared then find a buddy to walk with or change your route or buy a treadmill.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Super Contributor

On 7/2/2014 NoelSeven said:
On 7/2/2014 sidsmom said:

Not a deterrent, unfortunately.

Do you wap squirrels out of the way? Smiley Happy