Trusted Contributor

Do you think pasta dinners are sometimes overpriced in restaurants?

I know some pasta dishes have more expensive ingredients and require more work to prepare. I'm talking about the "simple" pasta dishes with a tomato based sauce. Do anyone of you think some dishes are overpriced? Just curious.

Super Contributor

Re: Do you think pasta dinners are sometimes overpriced in restaurants?

Yes, although I never thought that until my husband recently wouldn't order some at a local restaurant. He made me laugh because he isn't cheap but commented on an entree being 25.00 for basic spaghetti with marinara sauce...
Honored Contributor

Pasta is relatively cheap. But restaurants use a formula to price everything on their menu to make a profit.

The percentage should be 30-35%.

Honored Contributor

Yes, sometimes. But if they have a cheese sauce that makes them more expensive. The pasta by itself is very inexpensive to buy.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Super Contributor

On 6/12/2014 serenity4ever said: Yes, although I never thought that until my husband recently wouldn't order some at a local restaurant. He made me laugh because he isn't cheap but commented on an entree being 25.00 for basic spaghetti with marinara sauce...

$25 for spaghetti & marinara???? {#emotions_dlg.ohmy} Goodness, what kind of restaurant were you dining at? I lived in a big city, and to me that is ridiculous. If I am paying $25 for my entree it better have some protein in it.

To answer the OP, yes I do think some pasta dinners are overpriced, but it's all about covering costs. A restaurant is going to make different profits on different meals...obviously it costs them more to produce the steak dinners, or fine seafood dinners, so if they increase the price on basic meals that are top-sellers then it helps even out the costs. JMO

Respected Contributor

Everything at Olive Garden is overpriced.

Honored Contributor

Ya think?!! Cheese sauce expensive? Unless the milk to make the cheese is from clover fields where monks milked the cows & certified organic, no...cheese is inexpensive.

Honored Contributor

I think they have always been overpriced.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Regular Contributor

Generally speaking, yes, but there are restaurants and there are restaurants. Sit-down places have lots of expenses to cover, not the least of which may be rent, union labor, utilities, an endless supply of bread, possibly a salad bar, free refills on soft drinks, etc.

On the other hand I've seen carryout places charge $12 for spaghetti with clam sauce, which undoubtedly comes out of a can. That's a little much.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I think they're overpriced and don't seem to be as filling as they used to be. Seems like the amount on the plate is dwindling while the price is increasing.