Occasional Contributor

companies that charge tax on S&H

For all of you fuss who about QVC's S&H charges, you should be aware that HSN adds the purchase price of the item to the S&H charge and then adds sales tax to the total. The Q does not, I just checked and they charge tax to the purchase price only, which is the appropriate thing to do.

I wanted to alert those that do shop at the other company (HSN) that this practice is going on and if you do purchase a big ticket item it could add up the $$, especially to people that live in states where the sales tax is fairly high, like here in Tn where it is 9.4%.

I put in a complaint about this practice, which is to my way of thinking not fair to their customers as the S& H charges are pretty stiff anyway. Perhaps more of you could file a complaint with their customer service and maybe they would change this unfair and costly practice.

Respected Contributor

Re: companies that charge tax on S&H

Some states require that you charge tax on the s&h.

This comes up every once in a while.

Valued Contributor

I live in California. My total cost is determined by adding the cost of the item and the cost of shipping and handling. Then they determine the total cost by adding the sales tax.

Honored Contributor

This is a requirement in most states, not something the companies arbitrarily decide to do. You should have been told that when you complained. If you want to gripe, contact you legislators.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Most companies I know tax the s&h also.

Honored Contributor

I'm charged tax on S&H charges from here.
Honored Contributor

States dictate what is taxable. Not the merchants. The merchants merely have to obey the tax laws.

Regular Contributor

QVC does charge tax on merchandise and shipping/handling, Tooky.

Trusted Contributor

It depends on the state in which you live, not on the shipper/vendor. Hawaii gets taxed on everything. We have a use tax not a sales tax. We have tax on basic groceries and also doctor appointments! We are even taxed on tax!

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Honored Contributor

I live in Ohio. We are taxed on s/h.