Fashion & Accessories Clearance
90 Members and 15097 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Freedom Disability = Scam or ??

Started 1270654873.78 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1270668412.727 by cindychats

Wow-wee!

Just got treated over-the-top rudely by a gal at this company on the phone.  Calling on behalf of my friend who's waiting to see if her disability claim's denied.  Thought I'd get info:

She was really ticked that I asked questions apparently nobody had ever asked her before:

Where's the company located?

What credentials do the people processing the claims have, i.e., lawyer, etc.?

How long has the firm been in business?

Is it listed with the Better Business Bureau?

How do they charge, i.e., any out-of-pocket up front, no fee if unsuccessful, etc.?

She was so rude, indicating to ME it's nothing but a scam.

Page 1 of 1
cindychats1270655071.13717559 PostsRegistered 6/2/2008

wow, did she answer?

JuJu Squee­zey1270655271.42314444 PostsRegistered 4/22/2009Space Coast FL

Why did you ask all that stuff? It's the consumer's job to look it on the BBB website. What good does it do to ask the person on the phone if you suspect it's a scam, they may well lie and who has time or gets paid to do your research for you?

Eye of newt, and toe of frog, Wool of bat, and tongue of dog, Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting, Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing, For a charm of powerful trouble, Like a h ell-broth boil and bubble.
William Shakespeare

cindychats1270656028.46717559 PostsRegistered 6/2/2008

Why could the women not answer where the co is located? Is that too much to ask? What is wrong with wanting to know their credentials before you hire them or sign a contract with them? And how much they charge, well duh, that is a normal question a cosumer would ask anybody when shopping around for any service.

JuJu Squee­zey1270659818.74714444 PostsRegistered 4/22/2009Space Coast FL

You can't discuss somebody's disability claim with a third party without power of attorney or unless they are your dependent in the first place.

Eye of newt, and toe of frog, Wool of bat, and tongue of dog, Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting, Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing, For a charm of powerful trouble, Like a h ell-broth boil and bubble.
William Shakespeare

cindychats1270660265.717559 PostsRegistered 6/2/2008
On 4/7/2010 JuJu Squeezey said:

You can't discuss somebody's disability claim with a third party without power of attorney or unless they are your dependent in the first place.

She was asking general questions. How much they charge, their credentials, where they are located.

Binder&Binder had no problem answering  when my husband called to ask them general questions. Although I did not use them.

Last edited on 4/7/2010

Last edited on 4/7/2010

zoologist1270664335.9331745 PostsRegistered 1/29/2010

I wasn't discussing anything but generalities, like where are they located, how long in business, etc.

Kept wanting to know MY name, MY phone #, MY address, etc.  Finally, I just told her I was merely asking for information at this point, not divulging any.  Just needed to get more info to pass along to my friend if I felt it was a potential firm we would want to contact in the future, etc.

If ya ain't got nothing to hide, ya got no reason to try to avoid answering simple questions that any consumer should be asking before hiring ya!

zoologist1270664379.261745 PostsRegistered 1/29/2010

Again, just asking general information on their firm, NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with my friend.

BTW, tho, I am my friend's legal representative with the SSA.

cindychats1270664680.32717559 PostsRegistered 6/2/2008

ah hah, I see.

JuJu Squee­zey1270664825.67714444 PostsRegistered 4/22/2009Space Coast FL
On 4/7/2010 zoologist said:

Again, just asking general information on their firm, NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with my friend.

This company might be used to dealing with people who know how to conduct themselves on a business call.

William Shakespeare

Lion1270666025.1739807 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Even if the company was legit.....I'd never deal with them just from the rudeness of the initial phone experience.

No way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one"
- John Lennon

cindychats1270666307.54317559 PostsRegistered 6/2/2008

This company might be used to dealing with people who know how to conduct themselves on a business call.

Really? Then say for example maybe they should get used to dealing with elderly people who may be hard of hearing or forgetful and have difficulty conducting business on the phone.(Not referring to zoologist) Just saying the company is the one who should know how to conduct themselves in a professional business like manner. geesh. Who pee'd in your cheerios?

JuJu Squee­zey1270666451.03714444 PostsRegistered 4/22/2009Space Coast FL
On 4/7/2010 cindychats said:

Really? Then say for example maybe they should get used to dealing with elderly people who may be hard of hearing or forgetful and have difficulty conducting business on the phone.(Not referring to zoologist) Just saying the company is the one who should know how to conduct themselves in a professional business like manner. geesh. Who pee'd in your cheerios?

When you call an office or business wanting information you identify yourself before you start the third degree especially if you are asked your name and if YOU have nothing to hide.

You sure are looking to argue Cindy, I am not interested.

Last edited on 4/7/2010

Last edited on 4/7/2010

William Shakespeare

Burnsite1270666774.947237 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007

Whether it's a scam or a company with rude employees, the safe thing to do is take your friend's case--and any possible business--in another company's direction.

Customer service people can be pretty awful these days--you could just have gotten an idiot.  I am moving my retirement money because I have had so many difficulties getting basic info out of my annuity company.  Their CS people work on commission (evidently) and I recently had someone there hang up on me when I said I didn't want to buy a product but to ask a question.  All companies have idiots in the retinue--maybe this one is not a scam but just encourages profit-seeking behavior from their phone reps.

miss_Moria1270666785.9735537 PostsRegistered 4/15/2009Somewhere between Shangri La and Heaven

I don't see anything wrong with the questions that were asked and why on earth would the questioner not ask those things up front and why would they have to give their name first?  I would not even consider doing business with them if they responded in the manner the OP was handled either. 

I did this same thing with Binder and Binder and my questions were all answered with grace and professionalism. 

All we are is the result of what we have thought. Buddha

cindychats1270666946.74717559 PostsRegistered 6/2/2008

Not me juju, you attacked OP from the get go and in your every post after, like she did something wrong. She didn't. Seems you just want to insult her.

Last edited on 4/7/2010

Last edited on 4/7/2010

JuJu Squee­zey1270667057.23314444 PostsRegistered 4/22/2009Space Coast FL
On 4/7/2010 cindychats said:

Not me juju, you attacked OP from the get go and in your every post after, like she did something wrong. She didn't.

She's a big girl and you are putting yourself in where you don't belong and I will not discuss my replies to her with you buttinski.

I don't have an ignore option yet Cindy so I am trying to ignore you but when I do you will  be one of the first I use it on.

Last edited on 4/7/2010

Last edited on 4/7/2010

William Shakespeare

VioletEyes1270667072.2613180 PostsRegistered 2/11/2009

It is funny, zoologist,  just today I had to sign a contract for a new insurance policy with a new company on our home. I didn't like the way the guy conducted himself on the telephone but decided to go to his office anyway.

Well, I was right. He asked all kinds of personal questions having nothing to do with the policy and then proceeded to write on the application that my husband was retired. He said just to ignore that part?  I changed it and read it over thoroughly. He had a deductible written up that was very high when I had specifically asked for $1000.00.

Next time I will go by my instincts. When someone is abrasive on the phone.......don't do business with them.

cindychats1270667313.25717559 PostsRegistered 6/2/2008

Thank you

LipstickDi­va1270667679.80736862 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

The rudeness was uncalled for.  I deal with people from various insurance companies, etc. on the phone a lot for other people because of what I do for a living.  Many of them do want my first and last name and a telephone number in case they need to call me back because we are disconnected.  However, they nicely ask for the information and explain why they need it.  I have never been asked for my address unless we are to the point where they need to send paperwork.

I don't buy the excuse that they are used to dealing with people who know how to conduct a professional call because in their line of work, that's probably not the case at all.  And I don't really see what that would have to do with anything.  You learn to deal with everyone on the phone in a professional and courteous manner. 

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

JuJu Squee­zey1270667963.214444 PostsRegistered 4/22/2009Space Coast FL

You don't have to be a professional to know how to conduct a call. You call and identify yourself and then ask for what you need. Surely you identify yourself when asked? People on the other end of the phone aren't there to be treated with no respect or talked down to or to have info demanded from them. It's just manners.

Last edited on 4/7/2010

Last edited on 4/7/2010

William Shakespeare

cindychats1270668168.63317559 PostsRegistered 6/2/2008

Exactly queen. The company rep is the professional in this scenario. They are supposed to be trained to deal with all kinds of costumers.

That is the business world how it should be.

I can post my opinion and defend all I want to.

JuJu Squee­zey1270668272.77714444 PostsRegistered 4/22/2009Space Coast FL

Surely no one could stop you.

William Shakespeare

cindychats1270668412.72717559 PostsRegistered 6/2/2008

OP is unsure if this is a legit co and therefore not wanting to give personal info until she knew something about the co she was talking with. There are a lot of scams around and they do advertise on tv sometimes.

Page 1 of 1