Esteemed Contributor

Terrier3, about my cat....and anyone else who may have some ideas?

I didn't know if you saw my last post - I had not realized you were asking because I had said I was up at 3:00 am with a sick cat-LOL. I've posted about her on other threads. She is 16 and has had kidney disease for 3 years, with twice a week fluid treatments and as much special diet food as I can get her to eat. She now may have some dementia and was on a med for that which "may" have caused an episode that took us to the emergency vet this last Sat. am. Her kidney numbers have started going up in the last 6 weeks, and we've upped her fluids to 3X a week. It's a struggle to get her to eat, and she is on a med for nausea (if I can get it in her), and will start a transdermal med for appetite enhancement when I get it from the compounding pharmacy tomorrow. We don't have a Wegmans here, and I wasn't sure what the organic beef cold cuts are. I'm desperate to get her to eat and will try anything at this point. So thanks in advance if you can tell me what I might look for at another store.

If anyone else has any suggestions about this, I would be most appreciative to hear them. Her name is Baby Cat, and she is a beautiful little black and white tuxedo.{#emotions_dlg.wub}{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Trusted Contributor

Re: Terrier3, about my cat....and anyone else who may have some ideas?

Hi,

I have a 19 year old dog with kidney failure (four years now). He is also on thrice weekly fluids. He does not take any other medication for kidney failure. After much research, I determined that home cooking was the best route for us. I've been doing this four years now. I highly suggest you join the Feline CRF Support Groups on Yahoo. I belong to the canine group and they have been a great help to me. It is a bit much to have to enter the blood panel results, but with that information, they will be able to help you most. Even if I don't ask questions, I find reading about others experience with this dreadful disease very helpful and comforting. You're right, try anything and everything to get her to eat. I'm sorry Baby Cat and you are going through this.

Honored Contributor

My vet told me to get Murray to eat anything...it's better than nothing (and he doesn't like the low protein special food anymore).

I found that he likes velveeta slices (cut into little squares and preferably hand fed one by one). Then I tried the beef cold cuts and he wolfed them down.

I read somewhere that Fancy Feast is like kitty crack - he likes some flavors but not others.

Good luck...I know how tough it is. Murray is my last connection to my aunt, but I certainly don't want him to suffer. I would feed him caviar on toast points if he would like it!

Super Contributor

I've had good luck with baby food when I've had a sick kitty. My cats seem to prefer chicken over beef.

Sending good thoughts to your baby, kittymom! I have a Tuxedo too.

Trusted Contributor

Have you tried tuna water dribbled over whatever it is you want him to eat? As an enticement. My dog isn't too fond of pasta, so I will give him pasta with protein, veggies, and add tuna water to it. My dog loves toast with peanut butter (very thinly smeared on it). I use the peanut butter for enticement.

Honored Contributor

On 4/23/2014 Shaunac said:

Have you tried tuna water dribbled over whatever it is you want him to eat? As an enticement. My dog isn't too fond of pasta, so I will give him pasta with protein, veggies, and add tuna water to it. My dog loves toast with peanut butter (very thinly smeared on it). I use the peanut butter for enticement.

Tuna water is a great idea!

I found that to get Murray to drink more, I mix his water dishes with some cat food...kind of like a cat gravy. He drinks a lot more that way.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/23/2014 terrier3 said:

My vet told me to get Murray to eat anything...it's better than nothing (and he doesn't like the low protein special food anymore).

I found that he likes velveeta slices (cut into little squares and preferably hand fed one by one). Then I tried the beef cold cuts and he wolfed them down.

I read somewhere that Fancy Feast is like kitty crack - he likes some flavors but not others.

Good luck...I know how tough it is. Murray is my last connection to my aunt, but I certainly don't want him to suffer. I would feed him caviar on toast points if he would like it!

Are the beef cold cuts just what you would get in the deli section, or something special? And you're right, at this point, I will feed her anything she wants to eat---the special diet food is not going to make a lot of difference now. And I feed her most of the time now from a spoon - it seems that she can't get her mind on eating and if I can get her to taste something, she may eat it. If she doesn't like one flavor, I try another. I've had as many as five or six cans of food open on the counter and/or in the fridge at one time. I have another cat as well, so now I feed them separately most of the time. (The feral cats that live around my son's property are well fed with leftovers!)

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for your responses so far. I've tried baby food, and she'll eat a little. Every flavor of Friskies and Fancy Feast. She will eat tuna sometimes when she won't eat anything else, and I cut it up fine and drizzle the juice over it because she doesn't seem to like the texture that much and having to chew it. She will actually eat cream cheese off my finger (I tried that to get a pill down her, but she still drew blood!), and too much dairy would not be good anyway. My DS even suggested anchovy paste to try and get a pill down - just got that yesterday and haven't tried it yet. Bought cans of salmon with a lot of juice in it. Almost my whole cart at the grocery store was anything I thought she might eat!

Honored Contributor

On 4/23/2014 kittymomNC said:

Are the beef cold cuts just what you would get in the deli section, or something special? And you're right, at this point, I will feed her anything she wants to eat---the special diet food is not going to make a lot of difference now. And I feed her most of the time now from a spoon - it seems that she can't get her mind on eating and if I can get her to taste something, she may eat it. If she doesn't like one flavor, I try another. I've had as many as five or six cans of food open on the counter and/or in the fridge at one time. I have another cat as well, so now I feed them separately most of the time. (The feral cats that live around my son's property are well fed with leftovers!)

Have you tried warming the food in the microwave?

The cold cuts I chop up with my manual chopper....Murray needs his food to be pretty finely minced...he likes scrambled eggs every now and then too.

The cheese Murray eats in cubes seems to help his digestion too.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/23/2014 kittymomNC said:

Have you tried warming the food in the microwave?

The cold cuts I chop up with my manual chopper....Murray needs his food to be pretty finely minced...he likes scrambled eggs every now and then too.

The cheese Murray eats in cubes seems to help his digestion too.

I do warm everything in the microwave. And I'm definitely going to try the cold cuts and maybe the cheese & eggs - sometimes she wants a bite when I'm eating breakfast - she wants everything chopped fine as well. Thanks.