Respected Contributor

The NY World's Fair - 50 Years Ago Today!

I can't believe it's been 50 Years since the World's Fair opened in Queens in 1964.

I remember going often with my family.....especially with my dad. He would take me out of school during the week....I felt so special, and that I was pulling something over on the nuns!! LOL

I remember having my first ever Belgium Waffle in the Belgium Village.....which had real Belgium block walkways. Riding in a replica of a Ford Thunderbird (I think) in the Ford Pavilion.....there was some type of Space Pavilion.

There was also a Vatican Pavilion that displayed Michelangelo's Pieta. I went to Catholic school and was in awe seeing that in person.

The Unisphere was amazing.....huge and beautiful! It's still there...as are several other NYS Pavilion buildings.....all but one (I think) in disrepair.

My mom still has souvenir Rock Glasses stored away.....and I'm sure if I start looking around I'll find several other things.

Here's a link to interactive maps of different Pavilions and Villages I found online.

Were you there?

What memories do you have?

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Super Contributor

Re: The NY World's Fair - 50 Years Ago Today!

Yes, I was there with my three brothers and my Dad. My Mother couldn't go because there were two younger siblings who were just babies.

What an awe-inspiring experience! I was 6 years old. I remember an area that had a display of phones of the future. They had phones where you could "see" the person you were talking to. I remember laughing and telling my Dad, we'll never see such a thing will we? Fast forward 50 years and we have Skype and Facetime. I wish my Dad was alive to this all this progress.

I remember the space pavilion with the rockets and the gas pavilion (can't remember the company) that had the huge dinosaur!

Ah, the memories! Thanks for sharing the link. I'm heading over to check it out now.

Respected Contributor

Sox....I think it was Ford that had the dinosaurs.....maybe there were two displays???

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Respected Contributor

Oh.....and how could I forget?

The original, first ever (I'm pretty sure) "It's a Small World Ride".

Respected Contributor

I thought I read recently NY was debating tearing it down or putting work into it.

Super Contributor

On 4/22/2014 Lotus~ said:

Sox....I think it was Ford that had the dinosaurs.....maybe there were two displays???

I just found it. It was the Sinclair Oil pavilion. The telephone one was Bell Telephone.

Did you go on the "It's a Small World" ride at the Pepsi pavilion?

edited by sox: lol Lotus, I just saw that you mentioned the It's a Small World ride.

Honored Contributor

I went in '82. It was so awesome. First time I'd ever seen a Clydesdale in person. Fell in love with them.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Super Contributor

Thank you Lotus for sharing the website! It brought back some wonderful memories on a day that I really needed some uplifting.

Frequent Contributor

Went several times. It all seemed so unreal at the time. I think there was a General Electric display....does anyone remember that? I remember the ride in the Ford. Back then that was so cool. Where did those 50 years go? Thanks for opening this topic. It brings back memories.
Valued Contributor

Oh my goodness I haven't thought about that Fair in so long.....I went to it in 1965 on my Senior Class trip! Wow...has it really been that long?????