Esteemed Contributor

Eye Dr calls me about cataract appt. this morning. Oh we cant see you next week @ 3 at your initial appt. We got your report and you need to see other Dr (not the one you were going to see) and the appts are 2 hours and we close at 5.

So I said then why didn't you tell me that when I made the appt in the first place? I said I have blurred vision, never got new glasses because they sent me to you for cataracts, and said why get glasses when you will need them changed after surgery?

So I said LOOK I cant come before 3 my husband works and I have no one to bring me everyone else works, (I no longer drive due to other health issues).

So anyway she calls back later and says I can come in mid MAY at 3...lol. Makes no sense! She said they cant see me at 3 next week now she gets me in at 3 in MAY. lol.

I took the appt because what choice do I have? But I said now I have to have blurred vision for another month or more!

I have my puter screen blown up to 5X the size it should be. I cant see with my old glasses on to watch tv, or on the puter, and have to take them OFF but must wear glasses to read (that they work for but not distance).

Oh well I have to wait but had I known all this in the first place I would have went someplace ELSE!

More incompetent office people. I deal with this all the time. I feel like opening my own outsourcing business at home. I could set up appts and stuff from home and do a better job then the people I deal with at Dr offices on a daily basis! lol.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

Yah I would be peaved, 'specially since you probably waited a month for the original appt.

Sometimes they need to schedule a proceedure on someone at the expense of another patient. I wonder if that is what happened. Yah, I would be peaved, did I already say that! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Super Contributor

Its not too late- you can still go somewhere else!

At least she TRIED to accommodate your 3 pm apt even if it meant mid may, look at it that way.. - I am sure that is the way she sees it anyway- Is there some kind of medical transport service that could get you there since your husband is working? Or maybe some type of dial a ride?

Esteemed Contributor
On 4/22/2014 stilltamn8r said:

At least she TRIED to accommodate your 3 pm apt even if it meant mid may, look at it that way.. - I am sure that is the way she sees it anyway- Is there some kind of medical transport service that could get you there since your husband is working? Or maybe some type of dial a ride?

From the OP- This is true she did accommodate me in the end but I just wish she would have told me when I called the first time. lol. I get wound up because my pain Dr and all (except for my family DR, theyre great) always mess up my appointments and scripts etc. and now it happened at the "new" eye Dr appt. The only service I know around here to take people is the "special" bus service at the next city (25 miles away) and you have to be on Medicare which Im not. We live in the country there are no buses here on a "regular scheduele" or cabs or I would use those. I wanted to go here because my dad and others I know went here. I will wait it out even though it makes no sense to me @ all. Also on their website it states they are open until 7 two nights. But maybe they save those appts for working patients or something? Who knows.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

You haven't had the surgery yet, you can still go to another doc.

Honored Contributor

Maybe you finally got in because someone else canceled.

I can totally understand what you're going through... I've been going though something similar since the end of last December. I had to wait months for an optometry appointment in order to give my eyes time to heal.

It is so frustrating! Hang in there, that's what I'm doing Smile

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor
It sounds like the issue with scheduling may be with the doctor that you now need to see, but perhaps not the original one. Maybe the original doctor could accommodate the requested time slot, but the second doctor could not - and it wasn't known that you needed to see the other doctor until the report came back. Circumstances change and adjustments sometimes need to be made - it doesn't mean everyone is incompetent.
Respected Contributor
On 4/22/2014 Chalcedony said: It sounds like the issue with scheduling may be with the doctor that you now need to see, but perhaps not the original one. Maybe the original doctor could accommodate the requested time slot, but the second doctor could not - and it wasn't known that you needed to see the other doctor until the report came back. Circumstances change and adjustments sometimes need to be made - it doesn't mean everyone is incompetent.

I tend to think this is the situation. The doctor they originally scheduled you with may not be the most appropriate one for your vision issue and they were not aware of this until they got the report from your referring doctor.

I just saw the opthalmologist Monday for cataracts. I called last week highly expecting not to get an appointment for at least six months at the location my husband goes to. I was a self referral and advised them I knew I had cataracts and was starting to have vision issues. When I called the centralized scheduling unit; they told me they could schedule me at a different location if I was willing. Actually the office they scheduled me at was closer to our home. I was there from 9:30am to 12:00pm. I have a dense cataract in my right eye and a moderate level one in the left. My right eye will be done first. I do not know when the surgery will be performed, as I have to be seen again to determine the type of lens that will be placed. After that appointment the surgery will be scheduled. We did not even discuss the status of the left eye, as she wants to see how I recover in the right eye. My biggest frustration will probably be not being able to see until I am able to get new glasses after the surgery.

I am so sorry your appointments are not proceeding as you hoped. I am sure once you get examined things will speed up drastically. Since I have to return again for the lens test, you might want to check with them now to see if they can determine the lens type the same day as your exam.

Super Contributor
On 4/22/2014 stilltamn8r said:

This really depends on where you live ... maybe there isn't anyone else. People in smaller towns and rural areas don't have as many choices.

Respected Contributor

That stinks. I'd go nuts. I don't have particularly good vision, and I know what a hardship it can be without correction.