Regular Contributor

Hosts placing their orders on the air

Has anyone noticed how hosts place their "gotta have" orders for items that they are presenting? More and more hosts tell the producers to place an order for them while they are presenting an item. Do the hosts see the items prior to them being presented? Are they allowed to order at that time or is this last minute ordering a ploy to get viewers feel like they will lose out on an item? I saw Courtney ordering a clearance item while she was presenting it this morning and it seemed likes something hosts shouldn't be doing....

Super Contributor

Re: Hosts placing their orders on the air

It's just a sales tactic.

If someone really wants the item, they can order it too. I don't see the harm.

Super Contributor

SALES TACTIC.

They know that there ARE viewers who will see the host "ordering" an item, and think, "If the host is getting it, then it MUST be good! I have to have one too!"

I really doubt that an order is placed when a host says, "Someone order this for me!".

Was Yuban, then changed to Plaid Pants due to forum upgrade, and apparently, I'm back to being Yuban.
Esteemed Contributor

It may be a sales tactic, but it doesn't work with me. When they start down that line, I usually turn the channel.

Regular Contributor

I thought I read somewhere that hosts aren't supposed to order while on air, but in any case I'm going along with "just a sales tactic." I don't know about clothes and jewelry and the like, but with gadgets and food they frequently get samples anyway.

Honored Contributor

I've heard some of the hosts being very explicit in a color they want.....so not sure if it is really a sales tactic for all the hosts. But, I don't think they should be allowed to order while on air. They do get a discount and therefore should have to wait. Either they can place their order before or after the show.

Let's hope the know what is going to be in their show......and they should definitely know everything about what they are selling.

Super Contributor

Oh come on! No one really believes/falls for that, do they?

Super Contributor

On 4/20/2014 stilltamn8r said:

Oh come on! No one really believes/falls for that, do they?

Of course some people fall for it. Haven't you heard on the phone calls, the caller just positively gushing and fawning all over the host?

"Oh Lisa! You're my favorite!"

So, I have no doubt that there are some people out there, who, when they hear the host "place an order", suddenly feel compelled to have one too, just because the host "has one".

Was Yuban, then changed to Plaid Pants due to forum upgrade, and apparently, I'm back to being Yuban.
Honored Contributor

I think the hosts should order when they get off air. Whether they buy or not doesn't influence me. I find it sad when a host says order me 3, then a vendor comes on next and they don't order their item.

Honored Contributor

I run to the phone everytime they say it.