Regular Contributor

TIA? (Transient Ischemic Attack)

Anybody here ever have one? Were you nauseous and dizzy with a lack of balance? How long did it last? Thanks in advance!

Valued Contributor

Re: TIA? (Transient Ischemic Attack)

I thankfully have never had one, but usually it is a precursor towards having more and for sure you need to see a doctor about this. Some TIA's can lead to strokes, so don't be foolish and not check this out. Peace of mind is invaluable!

Super Contributor

I disregarded my tia years ago and it led to a stroke. I was lucky I was only left with some right side weakness. Well, my tia started with a bad headache followed by some numbness and a feeling of extreme fatigue. You may not have had a tia but just the fact you are thinking about it means you should see your doctor.
Valued Contributor

Three years go I was at home and went to move my hand which felt like it had fallen asleep, well in was unable go raid my hand off the arm of the chair, then my face began to go numb, I started talking to myself and heard slurring. I was alone at the time but managed to call 911, by the time I concluded the call, things had resolved. Regardless also called my husband at work. He came home just as the E.M.T. arrived. After a two day hospital stay and numerous tests, it was decided I suffered Tia. Since then I had one other slight incident but it was just numbness in my fingers. My neurologist prescribed lipitor and plavix as well as omega369 and a full strength aspirin a day.

Helen852
Respected Contributor

My mother was found face down in her apartment foyer. I was called, was there within 15 minutes. I called for the ambulance.

1. smile- uneven

2. lift arms above the head-can't raise both arms evenly

3. repeat a sentence- can't, words are slurred

She had recovered within a couple of hours, was kept for 24 hour observation. Tests were run. TIA was the diagnosis. Plavix in addition to her regular baby aspirin as a preventive to future strokes.

Don't mess around if someone may be having one. We think mom had the real thing sometime during the night in the hospital.

Regular Contributor

Thanks ladies. I am pretty sure I had one in the middle of the night last night. My blood pressure has been up. 187/104 this evening so I guess I will call the Dr on Monday.

Honored Contributor

On 4/19/2014 Silver Lotus said:

Thanks ladies. I am pretty sure I had one in the middle of the night last night. My blood pressure has been up. 187/104 this evening so I guess I will call the Dr on Monday.

Please don't wait until Monday, your pressure is much too high. Get yourself checked out in the ER.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Super Contributor

I wouldn't wait, your BP is getting near the stroke range. Take it again, and if it's still that high or higher, get to an urgent care or ER!

Respected Contributor

Take your BP again. If it stays high, definitely seek help. Please.
Honored Contributor

Go to the ER and do not wait until Monday.