Valued Contributor

Did my thread on the new math get nasty or what?

Super Contributor

Not that I saw.

Respected Contributor

Not sure, I wrote a reply and Poof, it was gone. But I figured it wouldn't last so I made a copy of my post. Please indulge me:

The problem with kids and math is that they don't necessarily understand the concepts behind what they are doing. They can do the math but can't tell you why it works.

Like "borrowing". No one is borrowing a thing-it will never be returned. Kids do need to understand that there is more than one way to determine an answer. As the article stated, Common Core doesn't emphasize the method to be used.

Common Core Standards are nothing more than breaking down what students need to know in order to pass on to the next grade level. We were using these Standards in California over ten years ago in math and reading. I've seen the new Standards for kindergarten and not a lot has changed in the last ten years. What did change was the name given these standards.

Posters with children should really look up the Common Core Standards and see that they actually make a lot of sense. It becomes so much easier on students, especially those who may face a move in the elementary years. Military children, job relocation-those things affect the children in schools across the nation. Heck, they used to affect children between schools in a district or within districts in the same city!

That's all Common Core does. State exactly what a child should know by the end of the year. I think it's very reasonable and that the parents would welcome that information. If your child is in kindergarten and hasn't learned to read yet then you would know that either your child is behind or it hasn't been taught----and yes, kindergarteners read by the end of the year.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for your post kdgn. I appreciate your explanation.

Super Contributor

I was surprised to see the thread disappear too.

Who went rogue?

Valued Contributor
4/19/2014 azterry! said:

Who went rogue?

Nobody did Terry. Maybe webbie thought ""Common Core"" was controversial but it was an intelligent conversation and nobody was upset with anybody.

Super Contributor
On 4/19/2014 MomOf4 said:
4/19/2014 azterry! said:

Who went rogue? {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Nobody did Terry. Maybe webbie thought "Common Core" was controversial but it was an intelligent conversation and nobody was upset with anybody.

I was just kidding, MomOf4.

I thought the entire discussion was really interesting.

Respected Contributor

It really is important that parents understand what Common Core is and isn't. Common Core makes complete sense. Some of the problems that are rising are from misunderstandings and some of the available adopted texts. The texts are supposed to align with the Standards but how they get there can be questionable.

It's not like when whole language was taught and phonics went out the window. I taught whole language for all of two days in kindergarten. I spoke with my principal, told him this wasn't going to work, that I wished to incorporate phonics back into the program. I was told as long as I kept the teacher's manual on my desk, in plain sight, do what I thought was best. I did. It was soon shown that thinking exposure was going to teach, that if a child didn't grasp a concept in first grade they'd get it in second grade, didn't work. All that happened is that children in trouble got further behind.

Phonics is back, good and strong, as it should be. Other methods are included though because not all children are phonetic readers.

edited to change a word.

Honored Contributor

That's just ridiculous, a thread about math taken down.

Intelligent comments and information on alternative math.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor
So bear with me, kdgn, the subtraction method shown in the original example is not connected to common core then?