Esteemed Contributor

I cant believe this, trying not to be mad but I am. Follow me here please.

I went to my pain Dr today for my back check up. I then went for my meds.

I handed in my NEW script, AND was nice and told the girl at the pharmacy (where Ive been going for years!) to tell them to be careful counting pills. I was shorted pills by 2 days worth LAST TIME but its OK because I hadn't started them till 2 days after I got the script so I did NOT run out. That's ALL I said.

She never answered me and got the big wig at the pharmacy who came out with a paper showing me their inventory is right and they NEVER mess up counting.

Then she said we can NOT give you Extra pills. I Said I WASNT ASKING FOR EXTRA PILLS I am getting my new script and thought id be nice and tell you there was a mistake last time.

She stood there making a jerk out of me embarrassing me in front of 4 customers like I Was trying to get extra pills. while I kept saying I was just trying to be nice to tell you there was a mistake PERIOD.

OMG I was SO mad. I FELT like saying, well maybe you gave someone ELSE my 2 days of pills I was shorted. BUT I let it GO and will never ever tell them about mistakes again!

Then she says IF I want to watch her count my new script I can. I Said no that is UNNECESSARY. (Ugh unbelievable!)

So then I come home with my new script which is good for 30 days and realize my pain Dr said to come BACK in 30 days BUT his secretary made my appointment in 42 days from now meaning I will be OUT of meds 12 days early.

You can NOT call in my medicine. So Now I have to call the Dr office Monday and tell them my meds will run out 12 days before my appointment.

Does ANYONE do their job right anymore? I have to keep fixing peoples mistakes OR watch everything they do every time I deal with people in offices ETC.

Im so sick of it! And people think I have it made sitting home and not working, even though I deal with back pain and all of this. Well id trade anything not to deal with all of this baloney and go to WORK and dance again!.

End of rant.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

First of all I have had pain meds and other meds shorted several times. It absolutely does happen but I have made a point of counting out pain meds right there because once you leave, it is your word against theirs. Especially with controlled substances.

I also would have said in a very loud tone "I wasn't asking for more pills, I was merely making sure you didn't short me like you did last time, and YOU DID INDEED SHORT ME, I know how to count". Then I would have asked to speak to the pharmacy manager and told how I was treated.

Just last week I went to go pick a new medicine for my mom that her GI doctor called in. She has been having pain in her stomach and they prescribed an antidepressant which helps with nerve pain. I didn't count it or even look at it but when I dropped it off to my mom she opened it up to take one. There should have been 30 pills but there were only 4. I mean that was a huge mistake. I called right away and they just gave them to me with no questions but had it been a controlled substance, it wouldn't have been that easy. You should ALWAYS count pain pills before you leave because they are a much bigger deal.

Also, didn't you realize right away that your apt with the pain doctor was way over the time that you had actual meds? Most pain clinics make appts for 30 days or less because most of those meds can't be phoned in anymore. Call right away and let them know.

I know what you mean though. It always seems a hassle to do anything now. People seem so inept at the simplest of tasks. I do get annoyed that people don't try to do their jobs well. I always do my best and it makes me mad when others don't have that same work ethic.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

As for their inventory. If someone is taking those pills instead of giving them to you, there inventory would be right. DUH. What a stupid answer. There was just a pharmacy tech arrested at a CVS here a couple of weeks ago for stealing pain meds. They were shorting customers and selling them.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Trusted Contributor

I am sorry you are having such issues. I had chronic back pain for several years which, fortunately, has cleared up on its own (although I have the occasional pain "spell" for a few days if I twist it or sleep on it wrong). I went through radiofrequency lesioning to help with pain, but I was on pain medicine for the entire time period, so I understand how frustrating it can be.

I can see how the errors could occur, and I think it was rude an inexcusable to embarrass you in front of others. While the pharmacy may believe that no error was made, there was no reason to call you out in front of others.

In regards to the secretary, she may not have known your prescription ran out and that you needed to be back in 30 days or less. In many cases, they try to fit you in to something open around that time, and maybe a call on Monday can get it sorted and get you in (even if it means going in a day or two early).

While frustrating, I think the only way to deal with issues such as this is by being proactive and taking control. For instance, I always check my medication as soon as I get it home, and I am on the phone with the pharmacy if there is a mistake (which has happened more than once). If I know I need to be back in the doctor's office by a certain time, I bring it up while still there. Ultimately, I do not think it is the situation where people do not care. I think, for the most part, .many are overworked and spread too thin.

Respected Contributor

This is unbelievable! I am very suspicious someone is stealing pills. A pill here and there from every script adds up quickly.

I suggest you contact the Corporate office of this pharmacy and let them know what is going on there and how you were treated.

Also, if this is a pharmacy in a grocery store or something let the store manager know.

Do this in WRITING. Corporate does not like to get these letters I promise you.

Oh and the obvious...get a new pharmacy.

Honored Contributor
On 4/18/2014 scotttie said:

This is unbelievable! I am very suspicious someone is stealing pills. A pill here and there from every script adds up quickly.

I suggest you contact the Corporate office of this pharmacy and let them know what is going on there and how you were treated.

Also, if this is a pharmacy in a grocery store or something let the store manager know.

Do this in WRITING. Corporate does not like to get these letters I promise you.

Oh and the obvious...get a new pharmacy.

CVS was caught doing this, it was an epidemic there several years ago.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Super Contributor
It is even worse after having major double knee replacement. I would only get enough pain meds for 7 days. ( They were very strong)...then I would have to call my doctor, ask for more....husband would have to go pick up the paper with subscription written out from Doctor office and then drive to the pharmacy and wait quite a while to have it filled... Washington state law, they can not call prescription in....had to go through this circus for 8 weeks when I was able to stop them. I got to the point a couple times where I was so desperate not to run out, I would cut my dose in half and have to suffer... So I could make it to the next week. That part of surgery is the worst part now. They do not want to give you enough pain pills!
Super Contributor

Oh, Shorty, like you don't already put up with enough! Yes, call the Dr on Monday and see if they can reschedule you-

Does your pharmacy have any type of online "review" process? Like Yelp or something? I think it would help if you could write this down and get it off your chest-

Lastly, can you switch pharmacies? It sounds to me, by how defensive they became, that this isn't the first time they have been informed of a "shortage" and something, may indeed be going on that is not legal..

Esteemed Contributor
You're right about having to watch people when they do their jobs. Sometimes I'll have a day like that...I want to go home and stay there! Just not deal with anyone! Have to say...I wish you'd taken her up on her offer to watch her count.
Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

I drove to a neighboring town to get my husband's script, our store was out. I called twice ahead of time to make sure they had it. I picked it up, paid, drove home. The bag was stapled and I assumed it was right. The bag said the right script but inside was not. They refilled the wrong script. They gave me a 90 day supply of pills I just had refilled 3 weeks prior. I called and they said oh, we shouldn't have refilled that. Ya think! They aren't even allowed to refill it.