Trusted Contributor

KIm Novak personally hurt by comments about her appearance at the Oscars

Kim Novak Speaks out Against Oscar Night 'Bullies'

"It really did throw me into a tailspin and it hit me hard," Novak, 81, said in a telephone interview Thursday, after she released an open letter condemning remarks by Donald Trump and others about her appearance.

In her letter, Novak said: "I will no longer hold myself back from speaking out against bullies. We can't let people get away with affecting our lives."

She had initially remained silent after serving as a presenter with Matthew McConaughey at the March 2 Academy Awards because the comments were so painful, Novak said from her home near the Rogue River in Oregon.

"For days, I didn't leave the house, and it got to me like it gets kids and teenagers" who are attacked, she said.

Trump tweeted during the Oscars that Novak should "sue her plastic surgeon," while others noted how unnaturally smooth-faced the veteran star of "Vertigo" and other classic films looked — even though actresses are pressured to look forever young.

"I'm not going to deny that I had fat injections in my face. They seemed far less invasive than a face lift," Novak wrote in her letter, adding, "In my opinion, a person has a right to look as good as they can, and I feel better when I look better."

Novak's Oscar night speech, which some observers characterized as halting, was the result of a pill she had taken to relax and a three-day fast, she said in her letter.

Novak wasn't the only older actress targeted at the Oscars. She was disturbed, she said, when ceremony host Ellen DeGeneres singled out audience member Liza Minnelli, 68, and pretended to mistake her for a male impersonator. "Good job, sir," DeGeneres said.

ENTIRE ARTICLE

Super Contributor

Re: KIm Novak personally hurt by comments about her appearance at the Oscars

Of course she was hurt- People were very cruel- I just don't understand the mentality (seen frequently by the host-bashers on THESE boards) that "Oh, well, they CHOOSE to be on TV, movies, whatever,so they are fair game for our outrageous, cruel comments"-

These are flesh and blood people, with flesh and blood families who love them and regardless of their chose line of work, do NOT deserve the incredible PERSONAL attacks that people feel almost obligated to mete out....

One only had to read the beauty and fashion board once or twice to see the horrible criticism of people like Patty Reilly-

I am NOT talking about a critique of their "performance" or work, but the most degrading personal attacks one can imagine..

Do I wish that Kim Novak, for example, was still the dewy ingenue of pst? Well, i guess that would make ME feel less old, but hey, considering her life, what she has been through and her actual age, she is doing ok, and doesn't deserve cruelty simply for being so "bold" as to be seen in public...

Respected Contributor

I looked online after reading this to see exactly what she looks like. Only fat injections?

Super Contributor

Well everyone gets old (unless of course, they die first). So maybe this will be a lesson to the young beauties (like Kim was) that it doesn't last forever.

I think someone in her 80's actually ought to be beyond worrying about what someone (especially someone like DT) thinks of her looks.

Trusted Contributor

On 4/18/2014 Dagna said:

Well everyone gets old (unless of course, they die first). So maybe this will be a lesson to the young beauties (like Kim was) that it doesn't last forever.

I think someone in her 80's actually ought to be beyond worrying about what someone (especially someone like DT) thinks of her looks.

I would hope he'd do the right thing and apologize to her. At least via Twitter which is where he posted his nasty comment about her looks at the Oscars.

The Donald needs to look in the mirror and no further than his own hair before he starts criticizing Ms. Novak.

Respected Contributor

Winkles would be an improvement for a lot of celebrities who've had ""work done"". Vanity/Pride is one of the seven deadly sins for a reason.

Super Contributor

On 4/18/2014 Deb1010again said:
On 4/18/2014 Dagna said:

I would hope he'd do the right thing and apologize to her. At least via Twitter which is where he posted his nasty comment about her looks at the Oscars.

The Donald needs to look in the mirror and no further than his own hair before he starts criticizing Ms. Novak.

Exactly. Anyone who looks like that can hardly be the standard bearer for good looks.

Super Contributor

On 4/18/2014 glb613 said:

Winkles would be an improvement for a lot of celebrities who've had "work done". Vanity/Pride is one of the seven deadly sins for a reason.

I totally agree. All this obsession with looking "young" is ridiculous. Someone who is 80 is not "young."

I am 63 and am perfectly satisfied to age naturally. Of course, I look as good as I can - still get my hair colored - because I still have mixed roots and I don't like that look. But I am not having shots or surgery just to pretend I am younger than I am.

People need to get a grip.

Super Contributor

I am also lad to see her address the reason for her apparent ""confusion"" onstage- I think people were generally concerned bout wjy she seemed so ""out of it"" Glad to know there was a reason-

Honored Contributor

I absolutely hate bashing and insulting people but on the other hand I truly think all this plastic surgery and injections have to stop. I often say to myself...Do these celebrities have mirrors?.......I find it so sad that beautiful women and handsome men distort their faces so radically. Even the negative comments about their appearance doesn't seem to make them want to stop having these procedures. I just don't know what they see when they look in the mirror. I guess growing old gracefully is a thing of the past.