Frequent Contributor

Did anyone see George Stella on In the Kitchen with David last evening, promoting his new cookbook? I have all of his books, and can't wait to get his new one, so don't get me wrong, but it sure looked like he had gained weight. And I'm talking 20 to 25 pounds! Did anyone else notice? I know he had lost 250 pounds or so, and I would hate to see him gain it back. What I've noticed in all of his low carb books is that most of his recipes are high in fat. You can't eat lots of fat and expect to maintain your weight or lose weight.

Respected Contributor

That would be a shame if he gained weight, but who knows, it could be because of medication or other extenuating circumstances. In any case, I hope he's healthy. Smile

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Super Contributor
Fat does not make you fat. It is too many calories not burned off. Calories in, calories out period.
Trusted Contributor

As someone who lost 80 pounds through low carbing, not only was I able to eat about 2,000 calories a day and still kept losing weight, but I also ate a lot of fat--even animal fat--and watched my cholesterol drop by 100 points.

As cardiologists were prone to finding out, their patients who went low carb lost weight and had better blood numbers than those that didn't. Atkins clearly stated in his books that the body just doesn't operate the same way in the absense of a ton of carbs. When he died after a silly accident, the autopsy showed that the only heart problem he had was congenital.

Fat has been promoted as the big bad for ages, but if it were, wouldn't the Eskimos on a pure blubber/protein diet be dropping dead left, right and center? They're not, and only after they adopt a higher-carb diet do the traditional diseases creep into their communities. The same thing happened to the native Hawaiians and Aborigines.

I'm living proof that a diet high in fat and protein is a life saver, and I have three medical conditions that require me to eat this way or trash my quality of life. And probably whack a lot of years off the end of it, too.

Here's something to think about. You will DIE without protein, and everything from your brain to your joints will suffer without enough fat in your diet, but you can live quite well without a single carbohydrate supplied from food. The body will produce carbs out of protein/fats in their absense, and when you eat a ton of carbs, the body will react in all sorts of negative way. The villain isn't fat, it's insulin, the single most important hormone in the body.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor
On 4/17/2014 gazelle77 said: Fat does not make you fat. It is too many calories not burned off. Calories in, calories out period.

In a traditional high-carb diet, yes. With Atkins, not so much.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Super Contributor
On 4/17/2014 blahblahvampemerblah said:
On 4/17/2014 gazelle77 said: Fat does not make you fat. It is too many calories not burned off. Calories in, calories out period.

In a traditional high-carb diet, yes. With Atkins, not so much.

Yes--- bad fats along with simple starchy carbs is asking for trouble. It is a bad mixture!

Esteemed Contributor
On 4/17/2014 blahblahvampemerblah said:

As someone who lost 80 pounds through low carbing, not only was I able to eat about 2,000 calories a day and still kept losing weight, but I also ate a lot of fat--even animal fat--and watched my cholesterol drop by 100 points.

As cardiologists were prone to finding out, their patients who went low carb lost weight and had better blood numbers than those that didn't. Atkins clearly stated in his books that the body just doesn't operate the same way in the absense of a ton of carbs. When he died after a silly accident, the autopsy showed that the only heart problem he had was congenital.

Fat has been promoted as the big bad for ages, but if it were, wouldn't the Eskimos on a pure blubber/protein diet be dropping dead left, right and center? They're not, and only after they adopt a higher-carb diet do the traditional diseases creep into their communities. The same thing happened to the native Hawaiians and Aborigines.

I'm living proof that a diet high in fat and protein is a life saver, and I have three medical conditions that require me to eat this way or trash my quality of life. And probably whack a lot of years off the end of it, too.

Here's something to think about. You will DIE without protein, and everything from your brain to your joints will suffer without enough fat in your diet, but you can live quite well without a single carbohydrate supplied from food. The body will produce carbs out of protein/fats in their absense, and when you eat a ton of carbs, the body will react in all sorts of negative way. The villain isn't fat, it's insulin, the single most important hormone in the body.

Congrats on your weight loss and thanks for taking the time to post this. It bears repeating!

Keepin' it real.