Super Contributor

Vintage Furs - How to you feel about them?

Went to a wedding recently and all 7 brides maid and bride were wearing vintage mink stoles from the 50's and 60's and retro style dresses.

Honored Contributor

Re: Vintage Furs - How to you feel about them?

That sounds like a fun wedding. Bet it was pretty. Don't care for real fur, but what was done can't be undone and at least they are being used and not trashed somewhere.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Super Contributor

It was a really fun, stylish wedding. I tend to agree about the vintage furs.

Super Contributor

I have a vintage mink cape that was handed down to me from a great aunt. I don't have anyplace to wear it and If I did have an event to wear it, I don't know if I would.

Super Contributor

Cool idea for a wedding! Agree I don't like furs but guess I can tolerate the vintage ones. (I just hate the industry they represent.)

Respected Contributor

I don't know. I have mixed feelings about it.

Respected Contributor

At a craft fair years ago, there was a vendor who made the most beautiful teddy bears out of vintage furs. For those of us who were hanging onto our grandmother's furs, we now had a way to preserve the past and keep a more PC remembrance of our departed loved ones.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Super Contributor

On 4/16/2014 Topaz Gem said:

At a craft fair years ago, there was a vendor who made the most beautiful teddy bears out of vintage furs. For those of us who were hanging onto our grandmother's furs, we now had a way to preserve the past and keep a more PC remembrance of our departed loved ones.

Now that's a great idea Topaz. (:

Honored Contributor

I think it's disgusting; it promotes animal abuse. I donated all of the furs I inherited to an animal rescue center that rehabilitates injured and abandoned wildlife. They use the fur to handle orphaned animals so they don't bond with humans and can be returned to the wild.

Respected Contributor

On 4/16/2014 occasional rain said:

I think it's disgusting; it promotes animal abuse. I donated all of the furs I inherited to an animal rescue center that rehabilitates injured and abandoned wildlife. They use the fur to handle orphaned animals so they don't bond with humans and can be returned to the wild.

I wish more people knew they could do this. This is the first I've heard of it and I think it's an excellent idea.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James