Contributor

We live in the country and can't get local TV with an antenna. We have had Directv since it's inception. But again, they are having a dispute with a local channel, NBC this time, and have dropped their broadcast (last time it was ABC).

We are thinking of switching to Dish and wondered if anyone has Dish and what you think of it?

Thanks for any thoughts...

Super Contributor

Switched from DirecTV for the local Sports coverage last fall. Had DTV for many years. I have to say that DISH is light years ahead of DTV in technology. I cannot ever imagine going back to DTV for ANY reason at this point.

In Sunny AZ
Respected Contributor

Have Dish (forth house) and love it. I have one Hopper and two Joey's. Dish has the best Better Business rating, the other does NOT. Check that out.

You can watch the major stations each night commercial free. Great if you do watch them, I do not. The service and technicians are great , they hire wonderful people. I live on top of a mountain so cable is not available, we do have some disruptions during thunderstorms, but I keep some shows to watch in my Hopper, so I am never without something to watch. One last thing, I have purchased one al a cart channel that Dish does provide that DTV does not choose to offer. If I have to pay for channels I don't watch, I like to opportunity to buy extra that I do want to see. Hats off to Dish for letting me decide.

Honored Contributor

We have had DirecTV service for more than 12 years, and never had an issue. In my area of southern WV, Dish network does not deliver comparable satellite service. Even though my phone service provider offers a bundled deal for phone, internet and satellite service with Dish, I absolutely will not give up my DirecTV service to save money. Based on what I have heard from friends who have been baited with Dish offers, only to be totally dissatisfied with their viewing package 3-6 months down the road, saving money is not as important as having the viewing options I have through DirecTV. Based on where you live, this could be a different story, but this area has more DirecTV customers than Dish customers.

Honored Contributor

When we moved here 7 years ago everyone recommended Direct over Dish. I've been happy with them. I used to have Charter and they were miserable to deal with.

Respected Contributor

I am only familiar with Direct TV which is great. But since there are others here who are happy with their Dish maybe you should choose the lower priced service.

Respected Contributor

Networks and providers are always going toe to toe over subscription costs...last year TWC and CBS went at it...we lost that channel for a good solid month because of it.

Valued Contributor

DoubleDog,

I have Dish and they are going through a dispute with NBC in my area so am going through the same as you are with Direct. Last year it was CBS that was gone for a couple of months, the year before Dish and ABC came to an agreement at the last minute.

ETA: In the last two or three years there was also the same problem with FX and perhaps another channel that I don't watch. Just received notice about a class action suit over channels being unavailable.

Honored Contributor

It depends on where your house is situated. When I had Dish the service would go out whenever it would even drizzle however my experience with Directv is completely opposite.

Honored Contributor

We have had Dish for about 10 years now. Have been very happy with their service and customer service. We just upgraded to 2 Hoppers and 2 Joey's - love it.