Honored Contributor

Would you call the police if you witnessed a mother drinking beer while breast feeding?

A server witnessed a Mother breast feeding her child who had several beers... called the police and was fired for reporting it.{#emotions_dlg.huh} I very well might have done the same.

ARTICLE from Daily News

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

Re: Would you call the police if you witnessed a mother drinking beer while breast feeding?

What in the world is that mother thinking? That is very irresponsible, IMO.

I don't know if I would call the police. But I don't think the waitress should have been fired. She was concerned for that baby.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Would you call the police if you witnessed a mother drinking beer while breast feeding?

While it was a poor decision, what the mother was doing was not illegal, so I would not have (in these circumstances). If the mother were drunk and endangering a child -- whether breastfeeding or not -- absolutely!

Esteemed Contributor

I would MMOB.

Honored Contributor

I witnessed a young mom breast feeding and driving! She parked, got out of car, child still attached and I said, "What in hail do you think you're doing, endangering this brand new baby?"

She of course gave me that look so I went on my merry way, thinking you are so stupid!

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

I am not sure what I would have done...without witnessing what happened..but I would not have fired an employee who wrestled with her decision and decided to err for the childs sake.

Honored Contributor

On 4/16/2014 Suzie said:

I witnessed a young mom breast feeding and driving! She parked, got out of car, child still attached and I said, "What in hail do you think you're doing, endangering this brand new baby?"

She of course gave me that look so I went on my merry way, thinking you are so stupid!

So dangerous Suzie...wow.

Super Contributor

That mother was there w/ her parents. She also has 2 other kids. I doubt this was the first time she was drinking beer and breastfeeding, and I predict it won't be her last. I think her parents were probably as irresponsible as she is.

Honored Contributor

On 4/16/2014 croemer said:
On 4/16/2014 Suzie said:

So dangerous Suzie...wow.

I'd parked and she pulled in next to me, I was in my truck and could clearly see everything.. Some women think awh nothing will happen.. stupid stupid stupid... baby only looked to be under 6wks old..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

On 4/16/2014 Kortney Act said:

I probably wouldn't say anything, croemer. I had difficulty breastfeeding and the doctor actually told me to have a beer to relax so the milk would flow more easily.

If I thought she was abusing alcohol though, I might say something directly to her first. If I didn't like her answer I might call Child Protective Services.

The article said she just had 2 beers, though.

I had not thought of that. My only thought would be...would I drink several beers out in public while breast feeding? You have to know people will question if this is harmful.