Super Contributor

Just home from a cruise that ended in Rome - so we spent a couple of days and did tours - one of which was the Vatican.

Wow! So amazing - as is Rome in general of course.

What really surprised me was the level of disrespect in the Sistine Chapel - where silence is required and no pictures are allowed. The guards had to repeatedly tell people to stop taking flash pictures - some were ejected as a result of refusing to follow the rules - and to be quiet. One woman was climbing up the steps and after being told twice to come down had to be forcibly brought down during which time she was loud and vulgar.

Has it always been like this or are we just degenerating more and more?

Anyway - loved Rome - we threw coins in Trevi fountain - definitely want to return.

Super Contributor

I want to take that cruise! What cruise line did you take? What other ports did you stop at? Was Rome your favorite?

As far as disrespectful people at the Vatican, nothing surprises me anymore. It's sad.

Super Contributor

The Sistine Chapel is breathtaking.

Super Contributor
On 4/16/2014 Luv2Decorate said:

I want to take that cruise! What cruise line did you take? What other ports did you stop at? Was Rome your favorite?

As far as disrespectful people at the Vatican, nothing surprises me anymore. It's sad.

It was a Holland America repositioning cruise (which saves lots of money) - 6 days across and then a stop in the Azores and 3 stops in Spain before ending in Rome. I think the ports may vary at different times. We stopped in Porta Delgada (Azores, Portugal), Cadiz, Almaria, and Cartagena.

Loved it!!!

Honored Contributor

What a wonderful adventure. So glad you enjoyed it. I would imagine that what you described has probably always gone on. Some people just don't know how to show proper respect for anything or anyone.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Super Contributor

I've always have wanted to take a trans-Atlantic sailing. 6 days without seeing land and being out in the middle of nowhere sounds wonderful to me. I'm glad you had a great trip! As soon as our kids are in college, we are going to take off like that and relax.

Contributor

Nobody got sick?

Super Contributor
On 4/16/2014 SHAYDIE said:

Nobody got sick?

Good question. This was my second repositioning cruise and the water was choppier this time and the first day I had some queasiness - which I had never experienced before on any cruise. The ship will give you some anti nausea pills - which I tried and they worked great. I had no more problems after the first day - and didn't have to take any more pills.

If you mean Noro virus - the ship is very good about doing everything they can to prevent it. Hand sanitizers are everywhere. The first day or two the crew serves everything - passengers cannot serve themselves or touch any dishes on their own. Anyone who becomes sick is asked to stay in their cabins for at least 24 hours or until symptoms have passed. Additionally, before embarking, passengers are asked if they have had any symptoms and if so, receive further screening.

Respected Contributor

What is a ""repositioning"" cruise?

Honored Contributor
My grandfather LOVED the Holland American ships when he traveled frequently to Holland. Immaculate, friendly staffs, reasonable fees. He traveled on the Maasdam and the Statendam.