Trusted Contributor

Ugly dark gray bed sheets......can I successfully fade them?

I bought new bed sheets, and I thought they would be a good match for my bedroom. I put them on my bed, and I hate the color!!! They are a dark gray color with a very slight blue tint to them. I really can't stand them.

Does anyone know if it is possible to fade them somehow? I was thinking about washing them with a large amount of bleach, but I'm afraid they will turn out blotchy. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ugly dark gray bed sheets......can I successfully fade them?

I probably wouldn't try bleaching them. How about buying another set in a contrast color (pink for instance) and mix them. Gray bottom, pink top, etc. ?

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Trusted Contributor

On 4/14/2014 twopeas said:

I probably wouldn't try bleaching them. How about buying another set in a contrast color (pink for instance) and mix them. Gray bottom, pink top, etc. ?

Thanks, twopeas, but I hate the color so bad I don't think adding a contrasting color would even help. lol I don't know what I was thinking when I bought them. I guess I will have to live with them, as sheets are expensive, and I don't make the kind of money that can justify not using them.

Respected Contributor

Sue, Try adding color. Some rit dye might do wonders, and it sounds as though you have nothing to loose. A bit of red, or fuscia, or purple or even navy might make the sheets more interesting.

It used to be easy to find rit, but had to buy it from Amazon the last time I needed it.

I bought some sheets that were supposed to be apricot and when they came they were a hideous goldy tan color. I was able to return them. If not I would have dyed them.

keep me posted would love to know what you try.

Respected Contributor

I have this dark maroon brownish ones I am not a fan of myself..they grab every piece of lint known to man lol..

I put them on occasionally and deal lol..

I must of thought it would grow on me lol

Honored Contributor

Most sheets are colorfast. Bleaching, at best, might make them splotchy. If they are really dark, I doubt most Rit dye would do much, not to mention you'd need a HUGE tub for dyeing.

I think you are stuck with the color. I'd use a contrasting set with them.

Honored Contributor

I had a set of silvery gray that I didn't mean to bleach. It didn't make them blotchy, they went to a dingy looking gray.

Respected Contributor

The bleaching success would depend on the fabric content. Cotton will very likely bleach lighter but you may not like the final color result. Polyester or other synthetics won't fade with bleach.

If you can't return the sheets, try to live with them. I have some sheets that didn't look great once I got them home, but I kept them because they were inexpensive. I got used to looking at them and they don't bother me now.

Honored Contributor

Return/Exchange them or give them to someone who loves that color. Or donate. I would keep them and use another top sheet such as light grey, white, off white as a top sheet.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Donate them & chalk it up as an expensive error.