Super Contributor

Please forgive my rant...

I have twin Granddaughters, 18 months old...they are the light of my life.

My daughter, who is really my stepdaughter but rarely referred to as such, and her husband view me as the twins grandma. The girls are being raised calling me grandma...My husband does not refer to my son from a previous relationship as his stepson...

Why does every one on my side of the family (mother, brothers, moms friends and other relatives) always correct me when I refer to them as my granddaughters and tell me that they are not my "blood relatives so are only step granddaughters"?

I think it is a cruel thing to do...why must they rain on my parade?

Respected Contributor

Re: They are MINE...thank you!

Jealousy, insecurity?
Honored Contributor

I'm with you...and if they corrected me again...I would correct them...explain how they refer to you...how close you are to them and if they have a problem with you being called grandma...or calling them my grand kids...that is their problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Super Contributor

Thanks you two...I just had a conversation with my mom, she said it again. I asked her to please stop, they are being raised to know me as their grandma.

If my husband ever referred to my oldest son as his stepson, my mother would be offended. I don't get it!

Honored Contributor

I know a very dear lady whose only child , a son, has 3 children to 3 different women he has never been married to. It makes no difference to her. They are her grandkids - period.

Valued Contributor

Of course they're yours and I hope they always know that.

Honored Contributor

Your daughter, SIL and the twins are the important ones and they know you are grandma.
Honored Contributor

How hurtful this must be to you, those babies are so very fortunate to have you as their Grandma. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

They just ""don't get it"" and are rude to you.

Super Contributor

Of course, they're your grandchildren! Why go into step, blended, etc? Kids pick up on that at a certain point.

Sounds like you maybe need to be a little more emphatic with your family--they are your grandchildren. Period. You don't want it mentioned again because it isn't relevant. I gained grandchildren when my son remarried. That's how I refer to them. Otherwise, it gets too complicated and can get hurtful.