Honored Contributor

Malls closing, stores going out of business --- Does this make anyone feel sad?

I don't know if you are experiencing this much where you live. But in our area, many stores have been closing. A lot of them are stores which have been around a long time. We no longer have a book store or a record/media store in our local mall. Our JCP is closing now.

Several malls which I used to shop at since I was young, are either done for or on their last legs.

I saw a show on t.v. a few weeks ago about how malls are dying all over the country and malls are becoming a thing of the past.

Does anyone feel sad about this? I certainly do. I have always enjoyed going to the mall for an afternoon of relaxation and fun. Not only for myself but as a family outing.

Don't families enjoy doing this type of thing any more?? Obviously not.

Don't people enjoy walking around the stores and looking at things - for real --- touching them and seeing them and holding them in their hands when they make a purchase? Isn't it good to have the children trying on clothes and shoes instead of making all the purchases on-line?

Don't get me wrong -- there are some advantages to purchasing on-line, such as, if there is no availability of a product where you live, inclement weather, etc.

But, a lot of people I know and talk to, still enjoy walking around the mall and browsing with their families, stopping for a bite to eat, etc. Shopping is a shared experience. A fun experience for the family to do together.

In the show I watched, it stated that the Mexican culture still seemed to be trying to hold on to this tradition as they are a very family oriented culture for the most part.

Does anyone else feel like I do --- sad and maybe even a little angry --- that this part of our society and culture seems to be disappearing and for the most part - nobody seems to care?

Malls that were beautiful and thriving are left to rot and decay and fall in.

I mean --- people still have to shop. People still need to buy things. So, in the not too distant future --- will we have no stores to browse in? Just buy everything on-line????

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Malls closing, stores going out of business --- Does this make anyone feel sad?

This is a result of the ease of buying online. You can research a product on several different sites then buy the one you like and it comes to your door.No wasting time and effort walking around a mall. Just sit in a comfy chair and order.

Honored Contributor

Re: Malls closing, stores going out of business --- Does this make anyone feel sad?

I guess if a person does not really like to shop, then being on-line is the answer for them. I am one person who loves to shop. For me, it's an outing and a fun one!!! When I get time, I will take off for awhile and just walk through the stores and look at things and people. I think it's a lot of fun! Occasionally, I will plan an outing with a friend. We have such a good time!!!

I think on-line shopping is very useful, too, when a person is older and has health problems or maybe even has no means of transportation.

But, doesn't the younger generation enjoy the malls? Don't families do this together any more?

I know times change, but change is not always a good thing or for the better.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

It does make me feel sad but I don't shop at malls anymore. I don't even go to target as much as I used to. I have enough stuff and have a lot a stuff I don't need.

Our jcpenney is closing too after it moved to one place and then had to move back to where it was before but I haven't been in there in years.

Trusted Contributor

Yes it is sad. This means people will be out of jobs also.
Valued Contributor

On 4/13/2014 AngelPuppy1 said:

I guess if a person does not really like to shop, then being on-line is the answer for them. I am one person who loves to shop. For me, it's an outing and a fun one!!! When I get time, I will take off for awhile and just walk through the stores and look at things and people. I think it's a lot of fun! Occasionally, I will plan an outing with a friend. We have such a good time!!!

I think on-line shopping is very useful, too, when a person is older and has health problems or maybe even has no means of transportation.

But, doesn't the younger generation enjoy the malls? Don't families do this together any more?

I know times change, but change is not always a good thing or for the better.

I get what you are saying, Angel Puppy, it is not about buying stuff necessarily, but looking, the atmosphere, the smells, the convenience, the variety, the fun, people watching.
Esteemed Contributor

I do feel badly about stores closing and people losing their jobs but am not quite sure that taking the family and hanging out at the food court is exactly my idea of a wonderful family bonding experience. There are too many other interesting ways to spend a afternoon as a family then the mall.
Honored Contributor

I totally understand what you're saying Angelpuppy and I think it's sad also.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

AngelPuppy1, yes, it does make me sad, for so many reasons. I'm to the point in my life that I can only take about an hour of shopping in the stores, but it's still sad to me. I so remember the days of taking the kids, stopping in the food court, picking up a cinnabon to take home, buying a soft pretzel. Many memories that many in our day will not have. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Valued Contributor

On 4/13/2014 KathyPet said: I do feel badly about stores closing and people losing their jobs but am not quite sure that taking the family and hanging out at the food court is exactly my idea of a wonderful family bonding experience. There are too many other interesting ways to spend a afternoon as a family then the mall.
I don't think she meant that is all they do or did, just that it is one thing, like going out for dinner....it is not all a family may do together, but it is fun to do sometimes.