Trusted Contributor

Dr. Phil's show today - a commercial for Robin's new beauty line

Today is a new low for Dr. Phil and Robin. IMO they exploited a woman's tale of woe to push Robin's new skincare and beauty line. I know, what do I expect. I just thought I'd call a spade a spade and check to see if anyone else saw the episode. So, did anyone else see it? What's your opinion?

Honored Contributor

Re: Dr. Phil's show today - a commercial for Robin's new beauty line

That made me mad. She looked great before her makeover and she should have come back out and told him where to go. That was just a stupid commercial for her debut.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

What did they do?

Trusted Contributor

On 4/10/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:

What did they do?

the show was about this woman whose husband constantly put her down for being heavy set (put on weight during their time together). They didn't address it too much and instead gave the wife a makeover, with a set that looked like a salon stuffed full of Robin's new skincare line. Basically they went thru all the skincare steps as Robin went into detail on what each product was meant to do. I haven't gotten to the end yet, but I'm sure they're going to probably give everyone in the audience a kit and they'll announce that Robin is going to be on HSN selling the stuff in short order.

Respected Contributor

I saw it.

That husband was terrible!

She was a very pretty and nice lady with a jerk for a husband.

Was it me or did Robin sound like she was ""whistling"" or something when she spoke?

Not a bash! I like Robin alot.

Honored Contributor

The wife was the bread winner for the family, she tried to go after work to work off her weight because he told her she was fat but he didn't like taking care of the two children while she worked out ( after her working all day). He said she could work it off at home. She did all the house cleaning and he slept in another room because he didn't want to be seen with her and found her gross after putting on some weight. He needed a "makeover", not her.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Trusted Contributor

On 4/10/2014 Pqfan said:

I saw it.

That husband was terrible!{#emotions_dlg.angry}

Was it me or did Robin sound like she was "whistling" or something when she spoke?

I'm wondering where they got the husband and wife. He was a big talker starting out, but folded quite easily and then at the end seemed enchanted by his wife. He didn't get much therapy from Dr. Phil either. And she was so sullen when she first came out and looked dowdy on purpose, I think. When she emerged from the makeover she was like a new outgoing person -- just seemed a little too much of an emotional transformation for so little real intervention. Same as her husband.

Of course the studio audience all got a 30 day supply of Robin's new skincare line and they made an announcement about finding it on HSN. I've only seen Dr. Phil's show twice (yesterday and today) in the past month or more and both shows they were really pushing Robin's new skincare line. Those two are really made for each other. I used to think he was the only opportunist.

Respected Contributor

On 4/10/2014 Deb1010again said:
On 4/10/2014 Pqfan said:

I saw it.

That husband was terrible!{#emotions_dlg.angry}

Was it me or did Robin sound like she was "whistling" or something when she spoke?

I'm wondering where they got the husband and wife. He was a big talker starting out, but folded quite easily and then at the end seemed enchanted by his wife. He didn't get much therapy from Dr. Phil either. And she was so sullen when she first came out and looked dowdy on purpose, I think. When she emerged from the makeover she was like a new outgoing person -- just seemed a little too much of an emotional transformation for so little real intervention. Same as her husband.

Of course the studio audience all got a 30 day supply of Robin's new skincare line and they made an announcement about finding it on HSN. I've only seen Dr. Phil's show twice (yesterday and today) in the past month or more and both shows they were really pushing Robin's new skincare line. Those two are really made for each other. I used to think he was the only opportunist.

Very good points.

It was probably all a set up.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Valued Contributor

On 4/10/2014 Predsfan said:

The wife was the bread winner for the family, she tried to go after work to work off her weight because he told her she was fat but he didn't like taking care of the two children while she worked out ( after her working all day). He said she could work it off at home. She did all the house cleaning and he slept in another room because he didn't want to be seen with her and found her gross after putting on some weight. He needed a "makeover", not her.

Great post, Predsfan. DH and I watched it on DVR. Near the end after the "makeover", DH said "but she's still the same person as she was before" which touched my heart. He's right.

This is one of those stories where I'd love for the girl to get to the point in her life where she feels good about herself and ends up finding a man who really treats her and respects her for the person she is. Her husband was quite the j*rk IMO.

Super Contributor

When did Robin get a lisp? She seemed very wooden too, so I'm not sure how well she is going to do selling her line on live tv.

The woman today could have lost 200 lbs by divorcing that husband of hers. And of course since it was just a commercial for Robin, nothing was resolved.