Respected Contributor

What do you think of this? I think the restaurant is wrong. They should've eaten the cost if they wanted to refund the man. He waited a week to come back!

HENRICO, VA (WWBT) - A Henrico waitress says a $200 tip cost her a job at IHOP. The large tip was a supposed mistake. The waitress says managers refunded the money to the customer and allegedly told her to pay up or else!

Chanetrice Carter could not believe here eyes.

"I said my goodness I just got a $200 tip," said Carter. "This is amazing. This is crazy."

Carter's jubilation at the West Broad Street IHOP turned to devastation a week later.

"A part of me was upset," said Chanetrice Carter. "A part of me was mad."

Carter says the manager called for a closed door meeting about the customer's tip.

"He said that's his handwriting. That's his signature," said Carter. "But he only meant to write down $2.00. He didn't mean to write down $200.00"

Carter claims the manager then gave her a deadline.

"You have seven days to pay it back or else," Carter says she was told.

Carter refused to return the money, and she claims she was fired as a result.

"Nobody's rights have been violated here," said NBC 12 legal analyst Steve Benjamin.

There has been no unlawful termination. She didn't have to return the money, but they can in turn fire her because she is just employed at will."

We left a message with the IHOP district manager. He reached out to Carter during our interview.

"What did they have to say?" we asked.

"He basically said that he wants to sit down tomorrow," said Carter. "And if they can correct anything they will correct it. I just look forward to sitting down with them and seeing what they have to say because nobody would talk to me until you all called."

Carter meets with management Thursday morning. We will keep you posted on what happens.

A photo of the receipt is in the link to the story:

http://www.nbc12.com/story/25209662/12-on-your-side-waitress-says-she-was-fired-over-200-tip

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

Re: Woman Fired over $200 Tip

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

Did the waitress really feel her service warranted a $200 tip?? I would of questioned it right from the get go - it is IHOP after all..not a high end steak house!

She should of verified it before spending it..

Sure some older folks do tip generously the young ladies but I would of still verified it..$2 is a HUGE difference then $200!

I don't think she should of been fired but she also refused to return it..and I am not sure IHOP should of been the one to eat the mistake.

Respected Contributor

Look at the receipt. He clearly put down $200. The customer should be responsible for the mistake, not the waitress.

By the way, he is a cheapskate for tipping $2 on a $25 bill.

Super Contributor

The guy was obviously an idiot...he signed his name on the ""total"" line.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/10/2014 JJsMom said:

Look at the receipt. He clearly put down $200. The customer should be responsible for the mistake, not the waitress.

I agree completely....it was the customer's fault. I know if I would have been the one to put down a wrong amount, I would consider it a lesson learned and let the waitress keep the money.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Super Contributor

The customer probably didn't have his reading glasses on. Since he never totaled the bill, there could be an element of doubt as to what he left. If her employer gave her the $200 then they should take the blame for reading the receipt incorrectly.
Respected Contributor

The 200.00 is very clear on the tip line. If the guy had actually added up the total and had it come out as $27.76 everyone would have been well aware the tip of $200 was a mistake.

If this customer is an older gentleman then perhaps someone in his family should keep a tighter reign on him. I'm pretty sure the mistake was caught when the account was checked by someone.

I don't think she should have been fired. It's admirable that the restaurant refunded the gentleman his money but I don't think they had to. They felt it was the right thing to do. Personally, I would have returned the money unless it had already been spent. In that case I would have asked to make payments. That's a hefty amount for a waitress to return.

Valued Contributor

she'll find a better job. $2.00 on $25 is what the customer meant to leave? what a cheap *#@$A*!!

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
Honored Contributor

On 4/10/2014 JJsMom said:

ITA, he did very deliberately write $200.00. IMO he later developed tippers remorse, but a week later? That should be on him. (and yes, he is a cheapskate to boot).