Esteemed Contributor

My daughter in law told me today I was an ice queen. I asked why? She said because I never want to do anything with her. She said I am either golfing, volunteering at church or hanging with my own elder parents. If she knew how much time I wasted here it on QVC it would blow her mind. She said that I don't make myself available for babysitting. 2 weeks ago I spent 2 days overnight so mommy and daddy could both go to hospital for youngest granddaughters surgery. Guess she forgot about that. I thought I was giving her a huge gift, not to be around and pester her. Isn't that what all dil want? What am I missing?

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

Do you feel she is wanting to spend time with you or as a babysitter?That would make a huge difference. If she really wants some time with you...I would take her to lunch or something 1x a month or something. Whatever you two would enjoy together.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor
Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.
Honored Contributor

Oh and I would take it as a compliment if she wants some time with you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Esteemed Contributor

Do the 2 of you do things together without the kids or other family ?

That's what I enjoy about my MIL. Just having a little time together alone.

Honored Contributor
Did she at least smile when she called an ice queen??? I'm not sure how I would respond. She should be happy that you keep busy and are not clingy and needy.
Super Contributor
She sounds like a real piece of work....like you can not have a life?
Esteemed Contributor

Well here is my two cents. I don't consider babysitting while they are at the hospital with another child a huge gift. To me, that is the stuff grandparents do and actually enjoy doing.

My daughter is due this summer and I plan on spending all sorts of time with my grandson. I can't imagine feeling like it would be a huge gift for my daughter and SIL for me to watch this lil man. It will be a gift to me.

I do have a great relationship with my SIL, I lucked out. He is a good guy but even if I didn't I would make sure I did. I would spend the time I needed to to get to know him because being in my daughters life is one of my top priorities. I am very close with her and I intend on always being very close with her.

Do you ask your DIL out to go shopping or do things that interest her? Have an occasional lunch out with her. Get involved with her life.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

She said it a little harsh but not too harsh. We did do things in the beginning but she kind of bored me so I didn't want to hang that much with her. She is a good mother and she is stunning other than that not a whole lot going on. She wants to do things with out the kids so it isn't that she wants me for only babysitting although she does think I should want to babysit more than I do. I respect her as that is who my son choose and he is a grown man. I never call him as I wait until he has time to call me. He treats me very well. I thought things were going well. Kind of in shock and now feel a little guilty but yet I don't want to change things. Complicated I guess.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

JMO but it seems your DIL wants a relationship with you.