Esteemed Contributor

I live in Southern California and I feel we have a problem with skateboarding and bicycles used on the sidewalk. The other day I was walking my dog and he stopped to go, while I was picking it up a skateboarder ran by me and the dog jumped on him. He apologized and later came back saying that he was bleeding. I asked him where and he said it was on his butt. He asked for my phone number. I think he was running a scam because he did not fall off his skateboard and kept right on going. I think he thought he could get money. There was no where to move over because the sidewalk at that spot was very narrow. He scared me and my dog. Why do parents give children skateboards and teach them nothing about courtesy. Where do I walk my dog---in the street?? Just venting. {#emotions_dlg.tt1}

Super Contributor

I thought just about every city had skateboard laws that prohibited using them on public walkways. Anyway, if he was bleeding, I would have looked to see if his clothes were torn over the "injury."

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Honored Contributor

I remember an article in our regional newspaper about people riding skateboards and 'wheelies' (shoes with roller skates built into the bottom) down the aisles of a local discount store. It said the customers were not pleased with the activity and felt it was endangering their safety while shopping.

Esteemed Contributor
On 4/3/2014 ktlynam said:

I thought just about every city had skateboard laws that prohibited using them on public walkways. Anyway, if he was bleeding, I would have looked to see if his clothes were torn over the "injury."

His clothes were not torn and when I asked he was unsure at first. He looked at his arm and then said it was his butt.

Super Contributor
On 4/3/2014 elated said:
On 4/3/2014 ktlynam said:

His clothes were not torn and when I asked he was unsure at first. He looked at his arm and then said it was his butt.

Ha, ha!! You were right to not give your phone # to the kid. I don't know if you could have been charged with not having your dog under control, but he obviously thought he could shake you down. If he was serious, I assume he would have called the police.

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Super Contributor

Ah, skateboards! When I was growing up in California they were illegal until about 1976 or 77 then everyone had them. You could buy them at 7-11 even. Once there were four of us in front of Thrifty's and one of the guys lost it and his board smashed into this poor lady's ankle. owwwie! I never thought I was very good on one but when I think back about the miles we put on I have to think I must have been ok?

Respected Contributor

I'm sorry OP but..........lemme see if I have this right........you're annoyed by a skateboarder who was using the sidewalk.........a narrow sidewalk people walk on an apparently your dog uses to poop on.........you've said your dog jumped on him and that the boy didn't fall........it's probable when your dog jumped on the kid, he bit him also........as to where you should walk your dog.......how bout a dog park, or on the grass, or a park.......................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Esteemed Contributor
On 4/4/2014 blackbirdraven said:

I'm sorry OP but..........lemme see if I have this right........you're annoyed by a skateboarder who was using the sidewalk.........a narrow sidewalk people walk on an apparently your dog uses to poop on.........you've said your dog jumped on him and that the boy didn't fall........it's probable when your dog jumped on the kid, he bit him also........as to where you should walk your dog.......how bout a dog park, or on the grass, or a park.......................................raven

Had a bad day. This is so inappropriate. The skateboarder was in the wrong by not watching where he was going. The dog was on the grass and I was on the sidewalk.
My dog has never bitten anyone. My dog gets walked about 2 hours daily and it is on the sidewalk and we do go to the park on our walk. Why did you bother to respond?

Respected Contributor
On 4/4/2014 elated said:
On 4/4/2014 blackbirdraven said:

Had a bad day. This is so inappropriate. The skateboarder was in the wrong by not watching where he was going. The dog was on the grass and I was on the sidewalk.
My dog has never bitten anyone. My dog gets walked about 2 hours daily and it is on the sidewalk and we do go to the park on our walk. Why did you bother to respond?

hey you were the one that brought the subject up and this is a place that you'll get replies/views/opinions to what IS POSTED........that's why they call it Viewpoints.......as to the other, I simply reposted what YOU had written......................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Esteemed Contributor

UPDATE:

Today, I was stopped by animal control while I was walking my dog. She questioned me about the skateboard incident. I told her what happened. She said my dog bite this boy. I asked her if she saw the bite and she said no it was another officer. I then said so the other officer saw the bite. I stumped her because she said she really did not know. She got my phone number, name and address. She said she would call me back on Monday with the report. She wrote everything down on her hand with a pen!!!! She also said that my dog would be quarantined for 10 days. She said I could not take him out of the house. I said I live in a condo and I need to walk my dog. She said to be careful about the skateboards. I asked her if there were no laws about skateboarding. She said no. I found it to be strange she had no report with her . I am going to ask for pictures of the bite. My dog jumped on him and pushed but did not bite. His pants were not torn and if my dog had bitten him he would have not continued skateboarding. I am very concerned about this incident.