Esteemed Contributor

What is a good camera for a beginner that I could use until I get pretty good. I will spend what I need to but I wanted your suggestions.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Valued Contributor

welllll, it depends -- do you want a DSLR, a big zoom fixed lens or pocket?

I shoot more than 50% with my iPhone these days.

Hey you, get off of my cloud...
Valued Contributor

and if you want a DSLR -- what do you like to shoot (do you need a zoom or do you shoot close objects?)

Esteemed Contributor

LOL! I know nothing about cameras so I have no idea what you mean when you say DSLR.

I want a good camera because I have a grandson coming soon but I am also starting a skin care blog and want to be able to take good pictures of products and such. I see other blogs (makeup, skincare and even food blogs_ and the pictures are really good with very clear and crisp pictures and I want that but something I can grow into and use if I happen to get really good at it. I don't know that will happen but I don't want to have to get something else later. Does that make sense?

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Valued Contributor

DSLR (digital single lens reflex) -- interchangeable lens camera

I always recommend Canon DSLRs since I feel they are more user friendly with the menus and buttons. Buy the body (the latest Rebel is wonderful -- T5i) with an 18-55 lens. I also suggest a 50mm lens (f1.4) to go along with and if you like to zoom add the Tamron 70-300.

If you do not want to get into all the lenses and filters and such -- look at a Panasonic Lumix superzoom.

Skip a pocket camera and use an iPhone (favorite apps -- Camera+ and Hipstamatic)

Research on dpreview dot com

Respected Contributor
On 4/2/2014 Photo Donna said:

Really. What type of photos? I can't imagine using a phone for photos.

Esteemed Contributor

DSLR (digital single lens reflex) -- interchangeable lens camera

I always recommend Canon DSLRs since I feel they are more user friendly with the menus and buttons. Buy the body (the latest Rebel is wonderful -- T5i) with an 18-55 lens. I also suggest a 50mm lens (f1.4) to go along with and if you like to zoom add the Tamron 70-300.

If you do not want to get into all the lenses and filters and such -- look at a Panasonic Lumix superzoom.

Skip a pocket camera and use an iPhone (favorite apps -- Camera+ and Hipstamatic)

Research on dpreview dot com

Thank you so much! I am going to print this out and research. I do want to be able to put different lenses on it.

I have also heard a lot of people taking photos with their iPhones because they do take some good pictures!

Again, thanks so much!

JFK
Valued Contributor
On 4/2/2014 glb613 said:

all types of photos --

I have printed my iPhone images from 2.5 inches square to 24 inches square. I have many hanging in a gallery and last fall had a show of images shot exclusively with my iPhone. Many bloggers (especially food bloggers) use iPhone images.

Next week I am shipping two iPhone images to Texas for shows and one to an exhibit in California.

Honored Contributor

Photo donna...what is the resolution of the photos from the iphone?

I know they take good photos, just wondering what the resolution was.....and I guess it would make a difference on which phone you have, correct?

Super Contributor
On 4/2/2014 glb613 said:

PD is right! my iphone takes the best pictures! so clear and crisp - i have printed out many and framed. people can not believe it when i tell them it was with my iphone and NOT a $$$ digital camera!