Contributor

I NEED help/opinions!!!!!!!!

I am hosting a get together in a week or so. It will be a gathering of 10-12 of us that do quite a bit together frequently. It is for 3 days and 2 nights.

I am trying to find a way to tell EVERYONE (no matter their beliefs)to leave politics, religion, and fussing with spouse/partner at their own home. I don't want it left even as close as my front door.

We are a diverse group, but for the most part we have a lot of fun together. It is 95% of the time the husbands who get into these discussions-that escalate into table pounding, loud, arguments. And then people leave sulking, not speaking, etc. But if you leave someone out on the next get together, Lord help you.

So, should I send an email simply stating my request? Write a clever(in my opinion)sign and put it at the front door?

I REALLY would like/need to hear some helpful solutions.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I NEED help/opinions!!!!!!!!

Good luck with that !

There's no way you can tell people to keep their opinions to themselves or not disagree.

Contributor

On 3/27/2014 Lila Belle said:

Good luck with that !

There's no way you can tell people to keep their opinions to themselves or not disagree.

Even if it is in your own home? I fear you may be right.

Frequent Contributor

I would be offended by the e-mail and the sign. Find some new friends.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/27/2014 leehare said:

Good luck with that !

Even if it is in your own home? I fear you may be right.

What would your reaction be if even before you walked in the door you were told that you couldn't discuss certain subjects ?

I hope your get-together goes well and that you enjoy your time together with your friends.

Honored Contributor

Good luck with that !

If you invite them into your home, you are inviting them...warts and all.

If the guys were truly uncomfortable about it...why do they keep coming back for more of the same?

I have people I disagree with strongly (no pounding though!) Perhaps it's just these people's personalities - they blow up and then forget about it...

Super Contributor

On 3/27/2014 leehare said:

I am hosting a get together in a week or so. It will be a gathering of 10-12 of us that do quite a bit together frequently. It is for 3 days and 2 nights.

I am trying to find a way to tell EVERYONE (no matter their beliefs)to leave politics, religion, and fussing with spouse/partner at their own home. I don't want it left even as close as my front door.

We are a diverse group, but for the most part we have a lot of fun together. It is 95% of the time the husbands who get into these discussions-that escalate into table pounding, loud, arguments. And then people leave sulking, not speaking, etc. But if you leave someone out on the next get together, Lord help you.

So, should I send an email simply stating my request? Write a clever(in my opinion)sign and put it at the front door?

I REALLY would like/need to hear some helpful solutions.

It sounds like your group of friends have a lot of positives going on to spend that much time together frequently so I would start with your spouse and yourself. Don't participate in what makes you feel uneasy and if discussions get hot find reason to excuse yourselves from the room. Why start something that hasn't started?

Super Contributor

Just have to say that the thought of being with 4 or 5 other couples for 3 days/2 nights at someone's house sounds like a nightmare to me! Too much togetherness and too many rules if we can't talk about what we want. If the men tend to squabble maybe you should consider just having a girls' get-together.

Honored Contributor

My DH's family are all extremely conservative and as you all probably are aware I am very liberal. When they are here we have all agreed to disagree and leave the politics at the door. If i were you , when everyone first arrives i would bring up the subject saying "How about if we start this party by agreeing that we disagree about politics and just respect everyones right to their opinion, and try not to let stupid politicans spoil our fun" Then throughout the time when ever the discussion of politics comes up you can interrupt and say "hey, i thought we all agreed to respect other's opinions." or something like that. I don't know what you can do about the subjects of religion or spouses, but something similar may work.
Super Contributor

Imo you can't tell adults what to do especially for that long of a time together.Accept em as they are or don't have the event.Good luck OP.