Regular Contributor

10 Cities With Best, Worst Well-Being PROVO IS TOPS, WHILE HUNTINGTON, WEST VIRGINIA, IS LAST

Gallup is out with its annual rankings of "well-being" in various communities, based on surveys of residents that encompass everything from jobs to physical and emotional health to community safety. The results: Provo, Utah, comes in at No. 1, while Huntington, W. Va., finishes last among 189 cities, reports USA Today. The top 10 cities in the survey:

1. Provo-Orem, Utah
  2. Boulder, Colo.
  3. Fort Collins-Loveland, Colo.
  4. Honolulu
  5. San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, Calif.
  6. Ann Arbor, Mich.
  7. Naples-Marco Island, Fla.
  8. San Luis Obispo-Paso Robles, Calif.
  9. San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, Calif.
  10. Lincoln, Neb.

The cities with the worst well-being:

1. Huntington-Ashland, W.Va.-Ky.-Ohio
  2. Charleston, W.Va.
  3. Redding, Calif.
  4. Spartanburg, S.C.
  5. Hickory-Lenoir-Morganton, N.C.
  6. Beaumont-Port Arthur, Texas
  7. Columbus, Ga., Ala.
  8. Shreveport-Bossier City, La.
  9. Mobile, Ala.
  10. Evansville, Ind.-Ky.

The full report is at Healthways.com.

Honored Contributor

Re: 10 Cities With Best, Worst Well-Being PROVO IS TOPS, WHILE HUNTINGTON, WEST VIRGINIA, IS LAST

It's always nice to see a ""bad"" list that doesn't include Albuquerque!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Re: 10 Cities With Best, Worst Well-Being PROVO IS TOPS, WHILE HUNTINGTON, WEST VIRGINIA, IS LAST

This list indicates that most of the healthiest places are in the western U.S., and most of the least healthiest are in the southern U.S. Why?

Super Contributor

Regional cooking, is my guess. Also air and other kinds of pollution.

Respected Contributor

Poverty levels plays a role too

Esteemed Contributor

Where do those guys get their info. Well being? It really can't be measured in my opinion, it's unique to everyone and the degree of well being can't be put on a scale. It's unique. Maybe some real estate folks have an interest in pushing one city/town and state to make sales.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

I'm not the least bit surprised at the worst locations. In fact, it makes perfect sense to me based on the criteria:

physical and emotional health, healthy behaviors, work environment, social and community factors, financial security, and access to necessities such as food, shelter and healthcare

Honored Contributor

On 3/26/2014 straykatz said:

Poverty levels plays a role too

I agree - all the ""best"" places are in upper economic areas and the ""worse"" are in poorer econimic areas. I don't think just having money would necessarily mean people are better off in general. Of course - not having money would definitely make people feel they are worse off - hunger has that effect on folks.
Super Contributor

Societal factors can play a role, too. Research shows that the most religiously conservative areas have some of the highest divorce rates.

Not because people don't sincerely believe, but factors such as marrying very young, having a lot of children right away, poverty, and being given unrealistic expectations--

Such as (and I've heard this preached) "If you center your marriage around Jesus Christ, you'll never have any problems" or "...you won't have problems that can't be solved", etc. So when one spouse starting running around, beats up on the spouse/children, is an alcoholic, gets into drugs, gambling, etc., a couple isn't prepared to deal with this stuff. It wreaks havoc and ravages a lot of families, especially children.

Super Contributor

On 3/26/2014 deepwaterdotter said:

This list indicates that most of the healthiest places are in the western U.S., and most of the least healthiest are in the southern U.S. Why?

Education levels play a part, I'm sure as do poverty levels. Two things the south struggles with.

Activity levels and regional cooking also play a part.