Esteemed Contributor

Valerie Harper has lung cancer

I read an article today that Valerie Harper who is 74 years old has incurable lung cancer. She and her husband who is also 74 decided this would be a good time to see a lawyer to draw up their wills. Valerie wants to be cremated but her husband wants her to be buried. She told him it is a lot cheaper to be cremated and they can join the Neptune Society where they make all the arrangements for him to go on a boat and scatter her ashes in the ocean. In light of this she has a great attitude. She and Mary Tyler Moore were a great team and I was sorry to hear of her illness.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Re: Valerie Harper has lung cancer

Do you mean her cancer has spread?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

On 2/22/2014 croemer said:

Do you mean her cancer has spread?

I am wondering the same thing if she is no longer in remission or this is old news, but still very sad

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I think she had lung cancer first then it spread but was responding nicely to treatment.

Contributor

Valerie Harper was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2009. Last year she was diagnosed with brain cancer and was told she had 3 months to live. That was over 13 months ago. Her medication has been working well considering a difficult diagnosis. She is in remission and is filming a movie. I think you came across an older article.

Honored Contributor

Actually she most likely has either lung or brain cancer that has spread to the other organ. That is , sadly, what cancer does.
Trusted Contributor

She had lung cancer that spread to her brain. Her lung cancer diagnosis is not new.

Super Contributor

Sorry to hear that the cancer is back.

I can't believe they are just thinking about drawing up a will now. With her medical history? I'd like to think they have had wills for a long time.

Maybe they are just now putting their final funeral plans in writing as these have nothing to do with a will.

Trusted Contributor

Everything, I've recently read indicates her cancer is in remission. She first announced she had lung cancer 7 years ago and then last year brain cancer. She now says it's in remission.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Super Contributor

Hi Lindsays Grandma... I think you may have come across an older article about Valerie. Right now she is remission from her brain cancer and she is doing a film. Like yourself, I really enjoyed her on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" and I also loved her in her own show "Valerie."

I hope she stays in remission for many years to come. I admire her tenacity and she is a role model for anyone who has received the diagnosis of cancer....there is always hope.