Guaranteed Delivery
100 Members and 16525 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Tara and Johnny, Ice Skating Commentary

Started 1392579317.443 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1393206855.073 by Holly Jolly JingleBells

They are doing an exceptional job. Who would have thought that after all these years a commentator would have something new and interesting to say. They add rather than detract from the performances.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
Preds1392579479.1423377 PostsRegistered 12/17/2012

I enjoy listening to them. They have been there, done that, and explain it so well. They don't just "rattle".

I love how in scary movies the person yells out "Hello?" As if the killer is going to be like, "Yeah, I'm in the kitchen, want a sandwich?"

occasional­ rain1392579630.03717322 PostsRegistered 8/21/2007

They don't make cringey comments either. This morning Johnny said that skaters sharpen their edges lower on one side than the other, I didn't know that.

Preds1392579860.35723377 PostsRegistered 12/17/2012

I hadn't heard that either. There were several thinks they explained and I enjoyed that. I didn't realize that some went to other countries in order to participate when they couldn't or didn't make it in their country.

I love how in scary movies the person yells out "Hello?" As if the killer is going to be like, "Yeah, I'm in the kitchen, want a sandwich?"

PurpleBunny1392579936.6939232 PostsRegistered 2/27/2008The Couch
They are great friends in real life, so it helps the chemistry. LOVED Johnny's hot pink outfit the other day!!!!!

(\__/)
(='•'=)
('"')(''")
Calm seas never made a skillful sailor ...

       

occasional­ rain1392580183.30717322 PostsRegistered 8/21/2007

Did you see him fishing? What about the shoes?

brii1392580330.26725932 PostsRegistered 7/14/2008
They are very good together.

PurpleBunny1392580335.7439232 PostsRegistered 2/27/2008The Couch
Did anyone watch his reality show a few years ago? That's where I fell in love with him.

(\__/)
(='•'=)
('"')(''")
Calm seas never made a skillful sailor ...

       

gidgetgoes­hawaiian1392580848.1410518 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
I agree. I think they're doing a terrific job.

chickenbutt1392586089.79325026 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

I so agree with all of you. They are doing an eloquent, informative, classy job with their commentaries. I've watched a fair amount. Wish JW could be skating, but he is even more of an outstanding, intelligent, sportscaster than I even expected him to be.

I'm more familiar with him, which is why I have more to say about him. As for TL, she is doing every bit an excellent job and I've also enjoyed them together very much.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

chickenbutt1392586166.63725026 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown
On 2/16/2014 PurpleBunny said: Did anyone watch his reality show a few years ago? That's where I fell in love with him.

I did! :) I loved it and keep wondering if it will be back. I still have the Season Pass on one of my Tivos (fingers crossed) hoping that he will do more seasons.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Linders Ba­ck1392591176.838762 PostsRegistered 9/4/2005Second star to the right and straight on till morning.

Did you hear them joking today about coming back as Ice Dancers? Also that JW designed the outfit of the winning Men's Skater so was happy with the results because his suit won.

They are wonderful together. So refreshing. Missed seeing them today (just heard them) so didn't see what JW was wearing. {#emotions_dlg.sad}Have loved most of his outfits and the fact that he and Tara coordinate before going on air.

Do you know that he is a spokesperson for MAC Cosmetics? I didn't until this week.

"SHUT UP LEGS" - Jens Voight

Preds1392591453.3323377 PostsRegistered 12/17/2012
On 2/16/2014 Linders Back said:

Did you hear them joking today about coming back as Ice Dancers? Also that JW designed the outfit of the winning Men's Skater so was happy with the results because his suit won.

They are wonderful together. So refreshing. Missed seeing them today (just heard them) so didn't see what JW was wearing. {#emotions_dlg.sad}Have loved most of his outfits and the fact that he and Tara coordinate before going on air.

Do you know that he is a spokesperson for MAC Cosmetics? I didn't until this week.

I did catch that. It was so cute... he was saying something about where they would have to go to enter because the Americans were so good that they wouldn't make it and then what music they would use and she came back about .... our outfits.... what would we wear. Loved it.

ktlynam1392591978.5973653 PostsRegistered 11/17/2004

I just love Johnny Weir. He doesn't talk aimlessly to fill a void. In fact, he actually stops talking just to allow the audience to hear the music and concentrate on what is going on with the skaters and just absorb the performance.

When he does comment, it's to inform and not to prattle on. He's very knowledgeable about skating and they both bring a fresh perspective. And I love that he's knowledgeable about Russia and truly understands and is a fan of Russian culture.

kittykatkay1392593162.20723127 PostsRegistered 2/24/2011

I love Johnny Weir, too. I think he has really calmed down quite a bit now that he has gotten a little older. Did any of you ever see that "reality" special featuring Johnny Weir a few years ago? He was over the top and wild acting, but I still loved to watch him.

I love to laugh and dance......

gazelle771392599853.94710026 PostsRegistered 3/1/2013
Tara was such a joy to watch on the ice! She was an amazing skater!

~~Always remember--
You're braver than you believe
And stronger than you seem
And smarter than you think~
~Pooh

Holly Joll­y JingleBells1392600605.199010 PostsRegistered 6/25/2013Santa's Workshop

I think Johnny and Tara are one of the Olympic highlights. I will be sad when the skating events are over because they add so much to it. I love Scott Hamilton in prime time, but really think Tara & Johnny are by far more informative. They don't overtalk the performances and really give insightful information. I have to be honest, when Johnny was competing I didn't care for him so much, found him arrogant and just too much. I guess it was about perception. Since then, seeing him on other shows and in interviews, he makes more sense to me. He was great at his sport, and he is so knowledgeable. I saw him on an all star episode of Chopped on the food network, the cooking show, and OMGosh he was hilarious. He was so competitive there too. I do love his fashion style, it's fun to tune in and see what he will be wearing each day, although I am not so sure about him and Tara coordinating. There have been a few mismatched outfits and he usually outshines her in the glam department, but they are so funny together. I was concerned a few months ago when Johnny first said he would boycott Sochi because of their stance on G/B but I am glad he became an ambassador for USA. He is definitely loud and proud. I hope that he and Tara continue to do more commentary together after the Olympics, they are a great pair!

"Oh, by golly have a holly jolly Christmas this year!"

aka Jules

Deb1010aga­in1392606203.5833493 PostsRegistered 5/28/2013

I'm watching now and they dubbed over Johnny and Tara with some other bothersome lady. She doesn't add much at all and in fact detracts from the performance IMO. Why'd they have to dub over Johnny and Tara? IMO this woman isn't up to par whomever she is.

Three women are killed every day in the US by a current or former intimate partner ---Bureau of Justice Statistics

Holly Joll­y JingleBells1392606562.0539010 PostsRegistered 6/25/2013Santa's Workshop
On 2/16/2014 Deb1010again said:

I'm watching now and they dubbed over Johnny and Tara with some other bothersome lady. She doesn't add much at all and in fact detracts from the performance IMO. Why'd they have to dub over Johnny and Tara? IMO this woman isn't up to par whomever she is.

I agree Deb, so much better when Johnny and Tara do it live. When they rebroadcast it for prime time they have the other commentators do it. Not sure if this woman is Tracy or Sandra, but listening to her is worse than watching ice melt. The Canadians did so good though.... but Charlie and Meryl are my favs. They had a segment about them earlier, they started skating together at about 9 years old, they both had their awkward kid phases, but wow did they turn out to be gorgeous. Meryl is so lovely, and I love watching Charlie's hair blow around when he skates... I'm such a dork. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

aka Jules

Deb1010aga­in1392606860.8473493 PostsRegistered 5/28/2013
On 2/16/2014 Jules5280 said:
On 2/16/2014 Deb1010again said:

I agree Deb, so much better when Johnny and Tara do it live. When they rebroadcast it for prime time they have the other commentators do it. Not sure if this woman is Tracy or Sandra, but listening to her is worse than watching ice melt. The Canadians did so good though.... but Charlie and Meryl are my favs. They had a segment about them earlier, they started skating together at about 9 years old, they both had their awkward kid phases, but wow did they turn out to be gorgeous. Meryl is so lovely, and I love watching Charlie's hair blow around when he skates... I'm such a dork. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

You're not a dork!

It's like they bastardized the performance by erasing Johnny/Tara and recording this lady over them.

Three women are killed every day in the US by a current or former intimate partner ---Bureau of Justice Statistics

dmod nj1392607094.59322905 PostsRegistered 10/4/2011Jersey

Love listening to Tara and Johnny.

I much prefer them to the primetime commentators.

"Help them and save them from their cfcp, twisted, bsc, diseased minds."

Holly Joll­y JingleBells13926072859010 PostsRegistered 6/25/2013Santa's Workshop
On 2/16/2014 dmod nj said:

Love listening to Tara and Johnny.

I much prefer them to the primetime commentators.

It is weird to listen to them in prime time and know it is not live. So they watched it earlier on tape, then give their commentary. It is so much better when it is Johnny and Tara and they do it live. Not sure why they don't use the Johnny/Tara commentary for prime time.

aka Jules

Linders Ba­ck1392607423.898762 PostsRegistered 9/4/2005Second star to the right and straight on till morning.

I also don't know why they think they need different announcers for prime time when they could just replay the early edition. But usually Scott does the evening with Sandra. Did they mention where Scott is?

I think I find her especially annoying for the dance this evening because the music has lyrics. When the single and pairs skate to just music, you don't notice her chatter as much, but her talking over the singing really grates.

Holly Joll­y JingleBells1392607635.2479010 PostsRegistered 6/25/2013Santa's Workshop
On 2/16/2014 Linders Back said:

I also don't know why they think they need different announcers for prime time when they could just replay the early edition. But usually Scott does the evening with Sandra. Did they mention where Scott is?

I think I find her especially annoying for the dance this evening because the music has lyrics. When the single and pairs skate to just music, you don't notice her chatter as much, but her talking over the singing really grates.

I agree with you Linders... she just does not shut up, and she talks over the music. I don't know where Scott is, but at least he is sensible.

aka Jules

abbeythe8th1392607690.684306 PostsRegistered 9/2/2007

Tonight it is Tracy Wilson doing the commentating. She was a Canadian ice dancer. I'd rather hear Tanith Belbin, who is also covering the Olympics for NBC. Maybe because she is Charlie White's long time girlfriend, it's a conflict of interest.

If you follow ice dancing Tracy Wilson skated with Rob McCall.

Last edited on 2/16/2014

Linders Ba­ck1392608498.818762 PostsRegistered 9/4/2005Second star to the right and straight on till morning.

Side note: I find it interesting that so many dance teams from all over the world dance to "New York, NY", "42nd Street" (at least 2 couples so far today), and other American show tunes. Isn't there any international quick step and Foxtrot music?

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next