Esteemed Contributor

They dont make things like they used to

Our oven just broke. (6 yrs old) Im so mad. They make JUNK now days. My parents appliances ALL lasted the entire time I was growing up until I left my childhood home AND after.

DH and I got all new appliances (washer, dryer, stove, fridge, dishwasher) the year after we got married 7 years ago (after our washer of 2 years broke).

So all of our appliances are only 6 years old. We already had the fridge fixed once (freezer part). Now the gosh darn oven to the stove is broke.

I had everything laid out to put in the oven and it needed to be baked. Now its in the garbage.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Super Contributor

Re: They dont make things like they used to

Tell me about it!

Respected Contributor

no the do NOT make things like they used to and anyone involved in the industry would tell you that...........the days of an appliance lasting 10-20 years are far behind us.........................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

Agreed! My fridge is a disaster...7 years old needs to be repaired 1-2x/year. I remember we had a manual can opener when I was growing up...it lasted 40 years.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

When the temperature regulator thing went on my oven the repairman told me they only last about 5 years - our range was about the age, maybe a bit older.

Honored Contributor

I agree!

May I suggest you do quite a bit of research first, online, various sites including those at the big stores.

Check out what other people have to say before you choose.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

I thought my oven was in need of replacing not long ago and it was just an element that needed replaced...much cheaper than a new oven.

Super Contributor

I have a Hamilton Beach stand mixer that was my Mothers.It is almost 60 years old and still works really well. I make heavy cookie dough in it and it mixes everything with no problem. You can't find things like that now. Everything today is made as cheaply as possible.

Honored Contributor

It's called ""planned obsolesence"".

Super Contributor

I have a 32 year old microwave/convection oven that is still going strong. They certainly don't make them like that any more!