Occasional Contributor

Question for Ebay Sellers regarding returns for item damaged during shipping

hi, I've been selling for years on Ebay and fortunately only had 1 item damaged in transit. It was a small makeup item. This one is a little different. I sold a glass platter and it was shipped to Australia. it was bubble wrapped and packed well. When the person got it they emailed me that the dish had cracked. They sent pictures and it was so sad to see the little pieces and she sent pictures of the box, wrapping etc. so I contacted the post office and because its international they said it would take up to 23 days to investigate and possibly get the money back. I told the buyer and they understood and have been very pleasant to deal with through this. According to the post office if they approve the insurance claim I would get back the $80 they paid for the item but the postage would not be refunded because the item was delivered. the postage was over $50. I already told the buyer to hold onto the package and contents because she might have to go into her local post office to show them, but should I refund her $80 now and what should I do about the postage, do I refund it, some of it or none of it. I feel bad, but I will be out the additional $50 if I refund it.

What have you guys done in the past? Thanks for opinions.

Super Contributor

Re: Question for Ebay Sellers regarding returns for item damaged during shipping

As a seller you should refund her immediately.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question for Ebay Sellers regarding returns for item damaged during shipping

I assume that the buyer paid a total of $130.00 ($80.00 for the item and $50.00 for shipping)? The post office will reimburse the $80.00 she paid but not the $50.00? I understand you don't want to be out the $50.00 but why should the purchaser have to bear the expense??? She did not pack it take it to the PO and purchase the insurance you did. Perhaps you should have purchased more insurance to cover the shipping cost. There is no question that you should reimburse the purchaser the entire amount including shipping.
Honored Contributor

I don't understand the USPS POV that you cannot recover the shipping because it was delivered. If it was delivered damaged, and properly packed, AND of course insured, wouldn't you recover the shipping too? Or, at least, the cost of the insurance.

But, from the purchaser's end, if they received an item damaged during shipment and there was insurance, they should get their money back.

Super Contributor

As a buyer, I would expect my full purchase price plus shipping refunded. As a buyer, I didn't have any control over how anything was packaged or the amount of insurance that was purchased. I think you need to keep your excellent rating by taking full responsibility for the purchase and shipping.

Super Contributor

When I sold on ebay, I would always include the cost of insurance in the shipping price, it's not that expensive to insure a package. I wouldn't take a chance. I would never sell internationally and I would only accept Paypal.

Contributor

As a buyer, I would expect a full refund including the shipping.
Trusted Contributor

You refund her immediately after she provides the proof that it arrived damaged.

This is certainly a lesson as to why I don't ship internationally. I might take a risk with something small, but heavy or delicate is a no go IMO.

Good luck!

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

On 1/19/2014 KathyPet said: I assume that the buyer paid a total of $130.00 ($80.00 for the item and $50.00 for shipping)? The post office will reimburse the $80.00 she paid but not the $50.00? I understand you don't want to be out the $50.00 but why should the purchaser have to bear the expense??? She did not pack it take it to the PO and purchase the insurance you did. Perhaps you should have purchased more insurance to cover the shipping cost. There is no question that you should reimburse the purchaser the entire amount including shipping.

Insurance is for the cost of the item and nothing more unless the whole thing goes missing.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

On 1/19/2014 monalisa1452 said: As a buyer, I would expect a full refund including the shipping.

I would agree. I buyer should not have to pay shipping for an item that arrived damage.

If you are out the postage, it's an expensive lesson. You may reconsider shipping overseas or include the (high) cost of shipping when insuring your item.