Trusted Contributor

Outhouse at an Outdoor Wedding

My granddaughter is getting married at her future in-laws backyard because they want an outdoor wedding and the future in laws wanted it at their home.My daughter is funding the entire cost of the wedding, including all of the rentals, etc. Both bride and groom are in their mid-twenties and teachers, all of the guests ( up to 140) are either family or professional type friends, not a bunch of hooligans. Well, the future in-laws told my daughter that she also needs to rent an outhouse because they do not want the guests using their bathrooms or going inside the home. The home is large and well-maintained and upper-scale.

The wedding and reception are in the evening. Maybe I am overreacting, but I think the idea of having guests at a wedding use an outhouse and not be allowed to use a bathroom is distasteful. Am I wrong? I am so afraid one of the older relatives will be insulted and that that my granddaughter will become the laughing stock at work and hurt her feelings. So far the soon to be married couple or my daughter seem to think this idea seems of poor taste and feel that they need to honor the request. Changing venues is out of the question because the invitationshave been sent out and they do not want to make waves with the new in-laws.

Of course I am just venting here because there is nothing else I can do. I am minding my own business.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Outhouse at an Outdoor Wedding

I guess since the future in laws want it at their home, perhaps it would be a good idea for them to allow guests to use their bathroom. Now, getting them to agree to this, she may have a hard time. Maybe the groom needs to step up and talk with them and kind of lay down the law.

I think you are right and can only hope they realize that this is not a good idea.I may be wrong but if it is a large upper scale home, I would think there would be more than one bathroom,maybe some possibly down stairs, I hope everything works out for the couple. I would only honor it if it were to be held out in the middle of nowhere, but since they the in laws wanted it at their home, I think they should graciously comply with inside bathroom privileges, especially since it was their suggestion to have it there. I sincerely hope that this isn't a red flag as to what the couple may face in the future with these people.

Best wishes and Congrats. Hoping this can be worked out.

Respected Contributor

Oh boy, I feel sorry for your grand daughter, out houses at a wedding. Are you kidding me. I can only imagine how the guests will feel. When the in-laws offered their home they should have stated prior to the invitations being sent, their bathrooms are off limits. The couple could have had the time to consider another venue. Their son needs to have a good talk with them. Last time I ever used an out house was at a high school football game many years ago. They are disgusting and filthy. How embarrassing. Just imagine how shocked the quests will be when they need to use the facilities. Your poor grand daughter. I hope they can figure something out, it doesn't say much for the in-laws at all.

Esteemed Contributor

What if it rains? No one will be allowed inside? Of course the in laws need to allow their bathrooms to be used. This wasn't discussed before the invitations were ordered?

Super Contributor

I'd change the venue ASAP.

Honored Contributor

Where are they supposed to wash their hands? Garden hose?

Super Contributor

It's not such an unreasonable request in my opinion. A wedding of that size, having up to 150 people coming and going in their home and using their restroom, I can understand. That being said, there are companies that rent outdoor bathrooms that are not the typical blue porta-potty you see at the county fair. They have stairs, and several stalls with doors, and vanity with sinks, like a restroom in a restaurant, but it is built into a trailer and towed to the site. They are actually very nice, and although not inexpensive, they certainly are much better than the blue outhouse. Many years ago my godparents had their daughter's wedding reception at their home on the grounds of their estate. They were extremely well to do, but had a guest list of nearly 300 people. There was no way they could accommodate that many people using their bathrooms so they used these upscale outdoor restrooms. Nobody complained about using them because they were kept clean, and they were really no different than using an indoor bathroom.

You say your granddaughter is paying the entire cost of the wedding, so I don't know if she planned such a thing into her budget. If she can afford these upscale outdoor bathrooms, that is the way to go. If not, then I would find a different location for my wedding/reception before having guests use the blue porta-lets. Perhaps since the in-laws are the ones that want them to have the wedding in their backyard, they should be the ones to pay for the outdoor bathrooms? Again, the idea isn't so distasteful, but there is a classy way to handle it and a tacky way.

Super Contributor

i don't blame them - who would want "up to 140 people" in and out of their bathroom(s)!! it would not happen at my house even if i wanted the wedding there!

and just like many other things in this world - all port-a-potty's are not the same! they have some very deluxe models available for situations like this!

WEDDING DELUXE FEATURES:

• Inner door latch for privacy.
  • Large 60 gallon waste tank for maximum use.
  • Lightweight construction allows for easy mobility.
  • Fully Stocked toilet paper & paper towel dispensers.
  • Vanity area with fresh water sink, mirror, soap & paper towels.
  • Flushable toilet design prevents users from seeing into waste tank.
  • Foot operated handwash station provides hygienic hands-free operation.

Dimensions: 47?L x 47?W x 91?H

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't want 140 people in my house using my bathroom. You'd almost need an attendant keeping it stocked with soap, towels, and toilet paper.

There have port a potties for outdoor events like these. It's not unreasonable.

Trusted Contributor

Ditto to what Jules said,some outdoor toilets are actually nice.

We have a large 2 seater behind our shop complete with a sky light & vanity with a mirror,we keep hand sanitizer and paper towels on it.

For large outdoor parties we always rent 2 Porta-Potties,this includes 2 Weddings.They come with a wall deordorizer and hand sanitizers. I don't ban anyone from using the indoor bathrooms,most folks get the hint that they are there for a reason.